Humidity Issues

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
girlwfreckles

Humidity Issues

Post by girlwfreckles » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:56 pm

I have had my crabs for about 4-6 months now and have had perfect humidity and temperature levels since my first week. But with this winter it all of a sudden dropped to in the 50s. My temperature is fine, my husband said they'll be fine for a couple weeks because our house is so dry. But I feel so bad. I have two heaters, my tank is lined 1/2 way with insulation, nothing has changed. Misting is not helping. I thought it was my gauge at first, like it broke but why would it be telling me the temperature is still fine? I am just at a loss for what to do. I live in indiana so it'll be really cold and dry for about another month or two.

Xenocrab

Re: Humidity Issues

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:04 pm

I have a humidifier running in the room that my tanks are in. My heat is very dry too. Do you have moss on your tank? That helps with humidity too. If you wet it, but not to where it's dripping, and put it by the tank heater, that will help some.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:04 pm

Be careful with misting, you don't to flood your tank or get a bacterial bloom.

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:39 pm

Add air bubblers to your pools. That really helps with humidity. I didn't believe it until I tried it. My humidity is now at least 83% with them.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
girlwfreckles

Post by girlwfreckles » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Thanks! I am going to get everything to make bubbler pools tomorrow to try and help.

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:22 pm

Is your sand dry? If so, it tends to absorb what humidity there is.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Links

Humidity Issues

Post by Links » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:04 am

If misting doesn’t move the number I’d suspect faulty gauge

Edit: although I have only been crabbing since October and I have had to empty at least two spray bottles on top of my sub because it had dried out and I was having a hard time keeping the humidity closer to 80 just be careful how much water is added I did not add two spray bottles at one time the most I ever added at one time is maybe half a spray bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:35 am

girlwfreckles wrote:I have had my crabs for about 4-6 months now and have had perfect humidity and temperature levels since my first week. But with this winter it all of a sudden dropped to in the 50s. My temperature is fine, my husband said they'll be fine for a couple weeks because our house is so dry. But I feel so bad. I have two heaters, my tank is lined 1/2 way with insulation, nothing has changed. Misting is not helping. I thought it was my gauge at first, like it broke but why would it be telling me the temperature is still fine? I am just at a loss for what to do. I live in indiana so it'll be really cold and dry for about another month or two.
I also live in Indiana, tank is insulated on 3 sides, have glass on the mesh of the tank lid with duct tape holding it in place. So far humidity hasn't changed much with the weather changes, no more than 2-5 points.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:20 pm

It can still be the gauge!! Temperature and humidity are two different sensors, one can go while the other is okay. Calibrating it (there's a guide in the caresheets) is a very good idea to make sure it really is a humidity problem and not a gauge problem.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:51 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:04 pm
Be careful with misting, you don't to flood your tank or get a bacterial bloom.

Question: with my sand, it's Flukers and EE, right? So it's white with some brown in it. How do I know if I have white mold or some other fungus if they're the same colour?
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
girlwfreckles

Post by girlwfreckles » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:30 am

wodesorel wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:20 pm
It can still be the gauge!! Temperature and humidity are two different sensors, one can go while the other is okay. Calibrating it (there's a guide in the caresheets) is a very good idea to make sure it really is a humidity problem and not a gauge problem.

I didn't know that!! I'll calibrate it. I added bubbler pools yesterday. However, I stupidly put my top on the ground while I was working on my tank and stepped on it so right now I have insulation as a top and my husband is going to get me a piece of plexiglass later and going to drill the holes for the tubes and gauge.

Topic author
girlwfreckles

Post by girlwfreckles » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:33 am

Scarletfire wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:22 pm
Is your sand dry? If so, it tends to absorb what humidity there is.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
The top doesn't feel it, but I have like 8 inches. How do you know if the bottom is? I have isopods (and lots of tiny babies) and a molter right now so misting is about as much as I can do. But it was sandcastle consistency when put in there.

Topic author
girlwfreckles

Post by girlwfreckles » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:34 am

Wlfwo wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:35 am
I also live in Indiana, tank is insulated on 3 sides, have glass on the mesh of the tank lid with duct tape holding it in place. So far humidity hasn't changed much with the weather changes, no more than 2-5 points.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
I'm glad you said this because I was able to tell my husband.. see it's not our weather. I definitely think it's probably my gauge.

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:28 pm

girlwfreckles wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:33 am
The top doesn't feel it, but I have like 8 inches. How do you know if the bottom is? I have isopods (and lots of tiny babies) and a molter right now so misting is about as much as I can do. But it was sandcastle consistency when put in there.
I check my substrate weekly for consistency and floods. I take something long and thin, like a butter knife, and make a thin hole on the front edge of the tank (so I can see the hole through the glass) that reaches almost to the bottom. If the substrate holds its shape and doesn't all come falling in, filling the hole, then you've got sandcastle consistency.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Links

Post by Links » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:32 pm

Just a quick thought and being a turf guy that I am I use moisture meters at work but the one we use cost $1000 mainly because it is sold the golf courses there may be other cheaper options available that fit our applications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk