Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
Post Reply

Topic author
Brenna7503
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by Brenna7503 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:09 pm

Hey guys! I have a ten gallon tank and want to hear your suggestions on what I should put in it for my crabs such as climbing stuff etc. I’m currently looking through Amazon and would love some help! Also I need help on choosing the best thermometer/hygrometer and UTH for my habitat, thanks!!

User avatar

Crabby7Crabber
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Remember, you don'w want to overcrowd you tank. I recommend the ThermoPro band for the temperature and humidity tracker ($9/$10). I also have recently bought Fluker's new zealand shpagnum moss. I suggest getting some shells and toys(A hide house if you haven't already) if you don't have them, and maybe from the dollar store a second level (multiple different variations, one example being a shelf to fit in the tank). I buy the Zoo med hermie heaters. Make sure to attach your heaters to the sides or back, NOT UNDER THE TANK. How many hermies do you have, how big, and what do you give them? (Do they have de-chlorinated fresh and saltwater? What food? Calcium supplement? How many shells are available? On Amazon a seller named ChollaQueen sells organic food for hermies. On Etsy you can also find more organic food for hermies). These are just basics, lol. Remember to also have deep enough substrate.
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
R.I.P George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, Shelly, and Cosmo the dog

User avatar

Maddamay32
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by Maddamay32 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:00 pm

I've found lots of good bigish pieces of Cholla wood on Amazon for cheap. As well as fishnet, drift wood, and natural coconut hides which the crabs do climb on top of. My crabs looooove their corkwood too! Just make sure it has a big enough for your crabs to hide inside if they choose. There's always a crab or two in mine during the day.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

9 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Sharkboy, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

User avatar

curlysister
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by curlysister » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:07 pm

Many of us use an Acurite digital thermometer/ hygrometer.
You want the biggest UTH that will fit on the back of your tank from the top of the sub to the top of the tank - go by size (inches) not by how many gallons it says it will heat. Ultratherm and Flukers are excellent UTH's - they are attached with duct/ electrical tape, so can be moved, and they can be insulated over top. Zoo Med UTH's have a sticky side, and once they are stuck on, they can't be re-used if moved. They also can't be insulated over top, only around. Edited to add: Ultratherm and Flukers UTH's also tend to be more powerful (ie- radiate more heat).
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers


Topic author
Brenna7503
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by Brenna7503 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:59 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 pm
Remember, you don'w want to overcrowd you tank. I recommend the ThermoPro band for the temperature and humidity tracker ($9/$10). I also have recently bought Fluker's new zealand shpagnum moss. I suggest getting some shells and toys(A hide house if you haven't already) if you don't have them, and maybe from the dollar store a second level (multiple different variations, one example being a shelf to fit in the tank). I buy the Zoo med hermie heaters. Make sure to attach your heaters to the sides or back, NOT UNDER THE TANK. How many hermies do you have, how big, and what do you give them? (Do they have de-chlorinated fresh and saltwater? What food? Calcium supplement? How many shells are available? On Amazon a seller named ChollaQueen sells organic food for hermies. On Etsy you can also find more organic food for hermies). These are just basics, lol. Remember to also have deep enough substrate.

I have 2 one is small and the other is about the size of a golf ball, I give them some of the food I eat, for example I shared an apple with them last night, and some more tonight, which my bigger crab loves, they both like grapes to an extent, and for the moment calcium is eggshells, I’m working on getting some shells for them as they both need an upgrade, they have dechlorinated of both but I’m working on getting some instant ocean instead of the bottled garbage I have now, because it doesn’t have everything they need, it was just a bandaid temporary fix, and I do have a hide house! And what would you suggest for a second level? Or toys?


Topic author
Brenna7503
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by Brenna7503 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:00 am

curlysister wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:07 pm
Many of us use an Acurite digital thermometer/ hygrometer.
You want the biggest UTH that will fit on the back of your tank from the top of the sub to the top of the tank - go by size (inches) not by how many gallons it says it will heat. Ultratherm and Flukers are excellent UTH's - they are attached with duct/ electrical tape, so can be moved, and they can be insulated over top. Zoo Med UTH's have a sticky side, and once they are stuck on, they can't be re-used if moved. They also can't be insulated over top, only around. Edited to add: Ultratherm and Flukers UTH's also tend to be more powerful (ie- radiate more heat).
Thank you! I’m going to try to get an Acurite, I think my local Walmart sells them for like $15, I think I saw it the other day but wasn’t sure if it was the right brand! And thank you for the UTH advice!

User avatar

curlysister
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by curlysister » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 am

If you look in the photos, or use the 'search' function, you can see a bunch of ideas for a second level. I haven't added one, but some people have done some amazing things! Also with bridges or climbing things made of hemp or netting. Something simple like a plastic shower caddy with really good suction cups, and then a way for the crabs to climb up to it, like a cholla wood. Motor and Xeno have done some amazing things with craft mesh (aka - plastic canvas) if you search for them. I had a coconut hide, and a half-log hide....but my crabs outgrew them. I also never had any luck with suction cups. So I took a white plastic storage container, flipped it upside down and cut a 'door' in it. Then glued some shells on the sides, and a shower caddy on the top for a little look out....and presto! An ugly but cheap and functional hiding cave, something to climb, and a lookout area all in one! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers


Topic author
Brenna7503
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by Brenna7503 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:15 am

curlysister wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 am
If you look in the photos, or use the 'search' function, you can see a bunch of ideas for a second level. I haven't added one, but some people have done some amazing things! Also with bridges or climbing things made of hemp or netting. Something simple like a plastic shower caddy with really good suction cups, and then a way for the crabs to climb up to it, like a cholla wood. Motor and Xeno have done some amazing things with craft mesh (aka - plastic canvas) if you search for them. I had a coconut hide, and a half-log hide....but my crabs outgrew them. I also never had any luck with suction cups. So I took a white plastic storage container, flipped it upside down and cut a 'door' in it. Then glued some shells on the sides, and a shower caddy on the top for a little look out....and presto! An ugly but cheap and functional hiding cave, something to climb, and a lookout area all in one! LOL!
Lol, crabs are weird, for instance I just cut and peeled some fresh apples and put some pieces in the tank and Josephina looked at me, looked at the apples, and then when straight back to eating a dried up grape that I’ve been unsuccessful from removing from the habitat as she is holding onto it jealously....sigh

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 3025
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:33 am

Brenna7503 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:15 am
Lol, crabs are weird, for instance I just cut and peeled some fresh apples and put some pieces in the tank and Josephina looked at me, looked at the apples, and then when straight back to eating a dried up grape that I’ve been unsuccessful from removing from the habitat as she is holding onto it jealously....sigh
They actually prefer sometimes food a few days old, than fresh. In the wild they are scavengers.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi


Topic author
Brenna7503
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by Brenna7503 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:33 am
They actually prefer sometimes food a few days old, than fresh. In the wild they are scavengers.
That makes sense actually!! It’s just frustrating because she won’t let me take it lol, because I’m trying to keep the crabitat clean

User avatar

Crabby7Crabber
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:08 pm

curlysister wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 am
If you look in the photos, or use the 'search' function, you can see a bunch of ideas for a second level. I haven't added one, but some people have done some amazing things! Also with bridges or climbing things made of hemp or netting. Something simple like a plastic shower caddy with really good suction cups, and then a way for the crabs to climb up to it, like a cholla wood. Motor and Xeno have done some amazing things with craft mesh (aka - plastic canvas) if you search for them. I had a coconut hide, and a half-log hide....but my crabs outgrew them. I also never had any luck with suction cups. So I took a white plastic storage container, flipped it upside down and cut a 'door' in it. Then glued some shells on the sides, and a shower caddy on the top for a little look out....and presto! An ugly but cheap and functional hiding cave, something to climb, and a lookout area all in one! LOL!
Totally agree with Curly on the suggestions
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
R.I.P George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, Shelly, and Cosmo the dog

User avatar

Crabby7Crabber
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Need help with ‘furnishing’ crabitat

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:09 pm

Brenna7503 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 pm
That makes sense actually!! It’s just frustrating because she won’t let me take it lol, because I’m trying to keep the crabitat clean
Yeah, they tend to be hoarders. My crabs don't eat strawberries or blueberries unless I leave it in there for a few days :lol:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
R.I.P George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, Shelly, and Cosmo the dog

Post Reply