Bought a fogger but now what?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Bought a fogger but now what?

Post by KimzKrabs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi I bought a fogger for my new crabitat I’m setting up to help regulate humidity and I read somewhere that I may need to add a false bottom? What is that? How do I do it? Is is necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

angelbear

Re: Bought a fogger but now what?

Post by angelbear » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 pm

I have not used a fogger, but I do know there is a big chamce of flooding with one

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:51 pm

Ok thank you. Every time I think I’ve got this licked something else comes up lol ile figure it out. Thank you!!

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 pm

I find a mkss pit helps me. I dampin it and it helps with the humidity

Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
1 e, and 1pp

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 pm

*Moss.

1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:03 pm

Moss? Do I get from pet store? Do you think I should return the fogger?

Meg'sAussieCrabitat

Post by Meg'sAussieCrabitat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:03 am

KimzKrabs wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:22 pm
Hi I bought a fogger for my new crabitat I’m setting up to help regulate humidity and I read somewhere that I may need to add a false bottom? What is that? How do I do it? Is is necessary?

I use a fogger/ humidifier that doesn't cause any flooding or condensation. Mine goes outside of the tank, so there is no spray going onto the substrate. I used to have one the went inside the tank, but it broke. Here's my current humidifier:
https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com ... ACH__1.jpg

5th year of crabbing with my 6 Aussies; Lily, Cocoa, Belladonna, Acorn, and Mango in a 65-gallon crabitat.
Also an owner of beautiful Sussex chickens; Adelaide, and Marshmallow, and my cat, Bluebell.

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 am

I got one that sits outside of tank but the hose will go through the top is this ok? I assume I use distilled water in it? Should I keep it? I pulled up your link to the one you have and I’m confused on how the fog gets into the tank

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:52 am

KimzKrabs wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 am
I got one that sits outside of tank but the hose will go through the top is this ok? I assume I use distilled water in it? Should I keep it? I pulled up your link to the one you have and I’m confused on how the fog gets into the tank
I believe the point of it is to raise the humidity in the area around the enclosure, which in turn can help raise it inside the tank without causing a flood. I don't have any experience with this humidifier myself, but this is what I would assume the purpose is for having one on the outside rather the inside.

Having one in the tank can sometimes cause flooding, because of constant or almost constant misting/fogging; the moisture will have nowhere else to go except down into the substrate. Over time, this water has the potential to build up at the bottom of your tank, thus creating a "flood".
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:58 am

KimzKrabs wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:22 pm

False bottoms are sometimes used by people in order to easily watch for flooding in the tank. It also gives water a place to go rather than building up in the substrate and harming your burrowed crabs.

There are some cons to using them, like the fact that some people have had crabs dig their way through the false bottom and get trapped beneath it.

I'm not experienced with them and unfortunately can't explain the part about how to set them up or with what materials, but those are the things I do know about them. :)
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:00 am

Ok that makes sense. I’ve been reading up on it and I’m gonna have it set real low and keep an eye on it. The machine will sit on floor next to tank and the tube will stretch to it and I’m cutting a hole in a plexiglass lid that will sit on top of wire mesh lid so the tube will go thru plexiglass but not the mesh in case my crabbies get to crawling they cant go in the tube. I appreciate your reply , thank you so much for taking the time to do so.

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:03 am

I am gonna look up some other types of foggers that stay outside the tank I’m trying to get this new crabitat set up before transferring any crabbies over Thank you so much for all the great advice! K

Meg'sAussieCrabitat

Post by Meg'sAussieCrabitat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:22 pm

KimzKrabs wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:03 am
I am gonna look up some other types of foggers that stay outside the tank I’m trying to get this new crabitat set up before transferring any crabbies over Thank you so much for all the great advice! K
My fogger has a tube that goes into the tank like yours. I think yours should work, and good luck with your setup! :crabbigsmile:

5th year of crabbing with my 6 Aussies; Lily, Cocoa, Belladonna, Acorn, and Mango in a 65-gallon crabitat.
Also an owner of beautiful Sussex chickens; Adelaide, and Marshmallow, and my cat, Bluebell.

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:29 pm

Thank you! I’m gonna make sure this set up is completely ready before moving the crabbies over. Thank you for your reply!!