Washing/baking play sand

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Cal

Washing/baking play sand

Post by Cal » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:30 am

Has anybody ever gotten mites from unbaked/washed playsand? I know the official HCA substrate guide says there is no need to bake or wash the sand since it comes pre-washed, but I want to try and prevent mites as much as humanly possible. Is it better to bake it just in case, or do mites even really exist in play sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

Motörcrab

Re: Washing/baking play sand

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:27 am

The playsand should be free of mites from the store. Mites live in all homes and are generally undetected. It just so happens that mites really love the climate of crabitats and will live in there and multiply. Most mites are harmless and will generally return to the tank after a cleaning. Unfortunately it is almost unavoidable.

Our mite guide should help you understand the different types of mites and what to look for.
viewtopic.php?f=124&t=92530
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Cal

Re: Washing/baking play sand

Post by Cal » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:54 am

Motörcrab wrote:The playsand should be free of mites from the store. Mites live in all homes and are generally undetected. It just so happens that mites really love the climate of crabitats and will live in there and multiply. Most mites are harmless and will generally return to the tank after a cleaning. Unfortunately it is almost unavoidable.

Our mite guide should help you understand the different types of mites and what to look for.
viewtopic.php?f=124&t=92530
Thanks!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam