Plastic Smell

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Plastic Smell

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:26 pm

I recently ordered some plastic aquarium plants from Amazon to decorate my crabitat with. I've had them in there for a few days now. Before I put them in, I soaked them in a vinegar/water mix (well water treated with prime) for about 30 mins. I dried them off well after. When I opened the lid to change out their food today, I noticed a slight plastic smell coming from the plants. Should I take them out? I already have them zip tied to the egg crate on the back of the tank. Thanks!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Plastic Smell

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:38 pm

Yeah, you may want to remove those and let them air out. I wouldn't put them back in until they stop giving off fumes.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:40 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Yeah, you may want to remove those and let them air out. I wouldn't put them back in until they stop giving off fumes.
Thanks! I did a check last night and didn't really smell anything anymore. I'm going to do another check today when I change their food. Image

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:49 pm

I smelled the plants again today, darn. So I took them all out. Maybe I'll let them air out and use them for my aquarium instead. I definitely don't feel like trying to reattach them to the egg crate now that it's in the tank.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:39 am

Oh, that’s a bummer! Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:03 am

JoeHermits wrote:Oh, that’s a bummer! Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely. Image Hopefully the crabs won't mind the lack of multicolor plants in the background lol. Image
Thanks again for replying! Image

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 am

Better safe than sorry; some plastics really do give off toxic fumes, and that can definitely build up in a closed environment like a crabitat. The crabs definitely won't care, if they were just background. Crabs do like having stuff in the tank to feel more concealed, but you can do that with other things than plastic plants. Sticks from your yard (if no pesticides sprayed) can provide both climbing opportunities and help them feel more hidden. You can bake them in the oven for a while if you are concerned about importing bugs.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:57 pm

DragonsFly wrote:Better safe than sorry; some plastics really do give off toxic fumes, and that can definitely build up in a closed environment like a crabitat. The crabs definitely won't care, if they were just background. Crabs do like having stuff in the tank to feel more concealed, but you can do that with other things than plastic plants. Sticks from your yard (if no pesticides sprayed) can provide both climbing opportunities and help them feel more hidden. You can bake them in the oven for a while if you are concerned about importing bugs.
I definitely agree. It was just background stuff anyway. Sticks are a good idea. I don't use any chemicals in the yard at all. I have so many sticks in my yard I'd be rich if I could sell them lol. Just no pine tree sticks right? Because of the smell they give off? Thanks!!

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:08 pm

I would stick with hardwood-type tree sticks/branches. Oak, maple, etc.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:35 pm

DragonsFly wrote:I would stick with hardwood-type tree sticks/branches. Oak, maple, etc.
Sounds good, thanks!

Raegyn_Kk

Post by Raegyn_Kk » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:22 pm

Hey! I’m having the same problem, I tried what you did too but it’s not working I don’t know what to do because I don’t really have another purpose for the plants, is the smell bad for them??
— Raegyn Kk ;)