4" Substrate vs. Wrong Ratio

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
FJrocks003

4" Substrate vs. Wrong Ratio

Post by FJrocks003 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:07 am

Recently I had a chemical fumes problem involving a heat mat from a nearby snake tank(see full story in Emergency sesion) and one of the mods suggested that I remove the first few inches of substrate in the crab enclosure. The problem was that I had the minimum 6" substrate. I removed the top 2" leaving me with only 4. When I looked in the cabinet where I keep supplies I realised that I was out of sand. I could add more coconut fiber but because I was already was a little heavy on the coconut fier it would leave me with more of a 1:1 ratio, so the overall question here is which is more important; having the correct ratio of sand to EE or having the correct substrate depth? (I am unable to get more sand do to the lockdown)
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 4" Substrate vs. Wrong Ratio

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:37 am

Having more substrate is more important. There is no “wrong” ratio, the typical 5:1 is just touted around because it works well for most people.

Note that by increasing your coconut fiber relative to sand you may notice your substrate dry out at the surface faster, which some crabbers do on purpose to help boost humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 am

Despite the fact that a lot of people believe the ratio is extremely important, it really isn't meant to be followed to perfection.

I personally do use the 5:1 ratio roughly, it's not exact but I do have both types of substrate mixed together for optimal moisture and humidity.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:32 am

Okay, thanks for letting me know. Also, would adding more substrate be a problem for a land molter? He is in a small coconut hut with the entrance blocked off and I'm not planning on moving him.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:40 am

If you don’t plan on moving him you can still add the extra substrate, just don’t bury him.

If you think it’d be easier to temporarily move him out of the way you can do so safely about two or three days after he sheds his exo completely. By then he’ll have hardened enough that risk of injury or disfigurement is minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:53 pm

Okay, thank you. I ended up blocking of the the whole area he with just an upside-down bowl while I added the coconut fiber. Afterwards I removed the bowl, leaving a little indent around him. When he finishes his molt I'll even out the ground.