How do you move a tank that contains isopods and springtails?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
orangeinecrab

How do you move a tank that contains isopods and springtails?

Post by orangeinecrab » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi, I've got a bit of a dilemma with regards to changing the stand of my hermit crab tank. I have a 120x60x60 cm hermit crab tank, however, the stand that the tank is currently sat on is not deep enough for the tank. The tank is sat on top of polystyrene (which is on top of the cabinet) but as the tank hangs over the edge of the cabinet I would like to get a cabinet that is the correct size for my tank as I'd prefer the base of the tank to not crack. I've had the tank sat on top of the cabinet for a few years but I'm planning on adding two 30x20x20 cm pools, that I can keep cycled, so the hermit crabs have the best water conditions possible and I'm worried that the tank base would crack with the extra mass from each tank. I have isopods and springtails in the tank so I have no idea how I'd move the tank without losing any or many of them so I would appreciate if anyone has any advice on how to go about removing the substrate to replace the stand.

I'm planning on getting a shelving unit (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... RNW4&psc=1) and replacing the top mdf board with a 120x60 cm plywood sheet (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... NY3B&psc=1) and then placing the shelving unit on top of plywood (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... NY3B&psc=1) to spread the load on the floor from 4 small legs to 130x70 cm as it is in an upstairs room. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How do you move a tank that contains isopods and springtails?

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:37 am

You could try placing a large cork flat or other hide on the substrate for a day or so. When you pick it up you can take out anything hiding on its underside.

You can also try it with leaf litter and other foods to gather as many in one spot as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:37 am

JoeHermits wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:37 am
You could try placing a large cork flat or other hide on the substrate for a day or so. When you pick it up you can take out anything hiding on its underside.

You can also try it with leaf litter and other foods to gather as many in one spot as possible.

Thank you for your reply. I've got loads of Cork bark in the tank so that would be a feasible option but all the babies worry me. I've got orange woodlice that aren't native to the UK so I don't want any to escape from the tank. Would it be possible to get the top few inches of substrate into a plastic storage box as most of the woodlice and springtails would be within that part of the substrate?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:13 pm

Yes, you probably could.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:33 pm

Yeah, that's what I would recommend. Leave the top couple of inches a little dryer so it stays lighter, and scoop it out to a separate container to be spread out on top again once you're done. Wait a couple of days before spraying/wetting the surface layer so anything buried has time to make it back to the top so it doesn't get crushed or trapped.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:46 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:33 pm
Yeah, that's what I would recommend. Leave the top couple of inches a little dryer so it stays lighter, and scoop it out to a separate container to be spread out on top again once you're done. Wait a couple of days before spraying/wetting the surface layer so anything buried has time to make it back to the top so it doesn't get crushed or trapped.
Ah, ok. Thank you. I'm still contemplating whether it is going to be worth all the effort seeing as I've had no issues with my tank since setting it up several years ago but I've got time to sit on the idea of a new stand as three of my hermit crabs are still down moulting.