Wood/placement of heater

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
asiankanye

Wood/placement of heater

Post by asiankanye » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:10 pm

Hi, I'm planning on getting three types of wood for my new crabitat. I know that the cholla will do fine, but will ghostwood and Malaysian driftwood be safe? Thanks.

Another question is regarding the placement of the heater. I placed it on the side of the bottom left corner but does the area around specifically need to be off-limits to the crabbies? Thanks!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wood/placement of heater

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:11 pm

I can't help with the types of wood.

But as for the heater - you have a UTH (under tank heater), correct? And to clarify - you placed it on the side of the tank or under the bottom of the tank?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:40 pm

I have ghost wood and driftwood, although I'm not sure if it's Malaysian (are they all similar maybe) and the crabs do fine with it. Also, the heater should be in an area that the crabs can access easily, but also easily stay away from if they don't want to be warmer. Anywhere on the side of the tank that meets those conditions should be fine
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:19 am

@curlysister it's on the outside and on the side of the tank, not the bottom. @avamin thanks!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:01 am

I thought that's what you meant but just wanted to be sure. You will probably want to move it up from the very lower edge of the side of the tank. Depending on the size of the tank and the dimensions of the heater, once you have 6+ inches of sub, the heater might be mostly below the level of the sub. There is nothing wrong with it being a bit below the level of the sub (keep an eye on the sub, as it will dry out quicker in that area if that's the case), but in general we are wanting it to heat the air, not the sub. So it should be far enough up from the lower edge that it is mostly above the level of the sub. I hope that makes sense!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers