New tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermielover121

New tank

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi I have been asking a lot of questions lately sorry. I am a Farley new crab owner ( I have had them for just over three months) with two small pp’s tomorrow we are getting a new 20 gallon tank upgrade ( I currently have a ten) I am getting it new from The pet store. do I need to wash it out ? I think I do what do Is use just using vinegar. Also here is a pic of the enclosure now any, things I could buy to fill up the 20 gallon Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avocadocrabbies

Re: New tank

Post by avocadocrabbies » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:46 pm

That looks like a good setup! Don't worry about [more toys and things, first I would make sure you get deeper pools and perhaps some more wood. As an afterthought, plastic plants and plastic vines are good too :) but it looks like you have a bunch of natural sticks, woods, and hideys in there! Good job :)

For washing the tank, this is what I did
I hosed the whole tank down (mine was quite grimy, I bought it used from eBay) and then after drying it off with a towel, I brought it inside and wiped it down with a rag soaked in warm, dechlorinated water mixed with a bit of vinegar. After that, let it airdry.
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Thank you
I am just wondering how much deeper do I need to make it ? I actually just upgraded it and I put one of the spare shells that were about their size and it can fit fully underneath in the water bowls so is that not enough?

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:39 pm

Well one of the hermit crabs is molting and really annoyed because he won’t come up and I really want to do an upgrade

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:04 pm

Off the top of my head a few things to consider with upgrading. You may need a bigger UTH. Since you are basically doubling the size you may need to double the heating.
Don't forget about a new top for it as well.
You can use the substrate to have in your current tank. You will need at least one 50 pound bag of playsand to mix in to get it to the proper depth.

I would order an ultratherm from Reptile Basics for the new tank. With any luck it would get to you early next week. In the mean time, like avocado said, I would clean the tank with vinegar and rinse it several times with dechlorinated fresh water. Even mix up more substrate too. Once you UTH comes you can put that on and just dump in the substrate.

With a 20 tall you should easily add a moss pit to the side of the tank. Once the basic set up is done you can slowly add more things.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:20 pm

Thank you
I have a very big bag of eco-earth can I just add that instead of using play sand

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:23 pm

This is the one I’m getting it’s not that that much bigger
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aqu ... 44864.html

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:09 pm

That looks like a 20 long tank. I don't think they are much taller than your 10 gallon. I don't want to change your decisions about upgrading. I just want to share some things to consider before you purchase a new tank.

Adding more height to a tank will allow more space for climbing wheels, climbing and other decorations. The down side is since it is taller than longer you will loose some ground space meaning less molting area. No mater what tank you choose each style has it pros and cons. It's really a personal preference. I always say to go as big as you can afford and have room for.

We just decommissioned a 20 tall in February. That tank was our first experiment with egg crate.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=119491

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:17 pm

I was looking for some types like that but this is the only good price one. I know that it is not going to be any taller but is there a way I can just flip the ten gallon on top of the 20 and make a topper?

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:18 pm

Also wow that tank looks amazing

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:45 pm

Thanks, We would rarely see crabs in that tank. It was too dark under those shelves. We used to jokingly say that there was a wormhole to another tank in there.

You could check the dimensions of both tanks. If the width is the same you should be able to use the 10 as a topper. You would need to come up with a shorter lid for a portion of the 20 that the 10 doesn't cover. Perhaps a piece of plexiglass? You would also have to make your food and water bowls accessible from the low portion of the 20. It would be a pain to remove the topper every day. Once you get the 20 you could easily see how far you can reach from one side. You would need to figure out a way to attach the topper to the 20. I think people usually just duct tape the two together. I'm not really sure since I never added a topper.

I have been wanting to add a topper to my 75 for months. I've been dragging my feet because of the price of the terrarium I want to use. I can't find that size used. I have some stuff I would love to do.

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:55 pm

About your water pools, if they are deep enough for the crabs to submerge, then they're fine! I think the picture made them look a bit small. Also, for the substrate, eco earth is great but I recommend mixing it with playsand. You can get a 50lb for a few bucks at Home Depot or Lowe's.
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:57 pm

Thanks I guess it all just depends on when I get the tank tomorrow. I will look into the sand

RiNiKy506

New tank

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:10 pm

You’ve done a great job with your 10gallon, can’t wait to see pictures of your new one.
Motörcrab wrote:That looks like a 20 long tank. I don't think they are much taller than your 10 gallon. I don't want to change your decisions about upgrading. I just want to share some things to consider before you purchase a new tank.

Adding more height to a tank will allow more space for climbing wheels, climbing and other decorations. The down side is since it is taller than longer you will loose some ground space meaning less molting area. No mater what tank you choose each style has it pros and cons. It's really a personal preference. I always say to go as big as you can afford and have room for.

We just decommissioned a 20 tall in February. That tank was our first experiment with egg crate.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=119491
Did you decommission that really cool tank!? The one with the awesome eggcrate and coco fiber liners?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:25 pm

Yep, we got rid of that and the 30 gallon to make way for the 65.