My first bacteria bloom

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Re: My first bacteria bloom

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun May 31, 2020 10:42 pm

They are enjoying the clean tank. I was really worried they wouldn't find the pools. But zoom in to the far side, left side. 2 crabbies drinking side by side. For a while.

https://youtu.be/uFmUzBn49H8
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:40 am

Your tank looks great! I'm sure you are glad to be enjoying it again! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:05 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:40 am
Your tank looks great! I'm sure you are glad to be enjoying it again! :)
Thank you. And definately. I'm glad they're enjoying it again. I'll be putting in more foliage.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:20 pm

Continued progress. I'll be adding more foliage.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:23 pm

Progress on the 75galImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:38 am

Nice! Your pictures are so clear!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 pm

First, your new tank set up is beautiful! It looks airy and cheerful, I'm sure your crabbies love it!

Second, I have a question about the photo below. Is the green stuff harmful, or only the black? We have been seeing a lot of the green (no black) along the front glass of our 65g. We scrape it away from time to time--it's only right up against the glass, and the sand behind it is clean. Tank location has been the same for four years, but we never saw anything like this until this last year. My husband thinks its because we lost the venetian blind on our back glass door and the tank is getting more sun on that side. We're also noticing a "darkening" of the sub on that side, creeping down from top to bottom, and wondered if it's moisture (also never a problem the previous 3 years). We did check and there's no water pooling, but after reading through this thread, and after our last experience mixing sub, we think the sand is sucking moisture out of the air.

But mainly, I'm asking about the green growth in the photo, if that's harmful or just a normal nuisance? Thanks for any insight.
Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 pm
Here are some pics. It's real hard to actually see the water in the picture.Image

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 pm

hprmom wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 pm
First, your new tank set up is beautiful! It looks airy and cheerful, I'm sure your crabbies love it!

Second, I have a question about the photo below. Is the green stuff harmful, or only the black? We have been seeing a lot of the green (no black) along the front glass of our 65g. We scrape it away from time to time--it's only right up against the glass, and the sand behind it is clean. Tank location has been the same for four years, but we never saw anything like this until this last year. My husband thinks its because we lost the venetian blind on our back glass door and the tank is getting more sun on that side. We're also noticing a "darkening" of the sub on that side, creeping down from top to bottom, and wondered if it's moisture (also never a problem the previous 3 years). We did check and there's no water pooling, but after reading through this thread, and after our last experience mixing sub, we think the sand is sucking moisture out of the air.

But mainly, I'm asking about the green growth in the photo, if that's harmful or just a normal nuisance? Thanks for any insight.
Thank you. They are really enjoying the extra foliage and the climbing wall.
A while back someone said that the green is algea and a sign of a healthy tank. My tank gets some direct sun. But then more recent someone said it's part of the bloom. The green part never smelled. I'm sure someone with more experience can weigh in.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:41 pm

I have some green in my tank, but it is above the sand, and it is due to my UVB bulbs. I believe the green is healthy.

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:45 pm

Thank you both! We’re going to keep an eye on it. We’re due for a sub refresh anyway so next time we scrape it up we may backfill with clean dry sand to mitigate the extra moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:32 pm

hprmom wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:45 pm
Thank you both! We’re going to keep an eye on it. We’re due for a sub refresh anyway so next time we scrape it up we may backfill with clean dry sand to mitigate the extra moisture.
I've never replaced my sand. Smell it. If it doesn't smell bad, I would leave it. I don't even mix my sand up. I just add a little bit every so often because it settles. To each's own though :)

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:56 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:32 pm
I've never replaced my sand. Smell it. If it doesn't smell bad, I would leave it. I don't even mix my sand up. I just add a little bit every so often because it settles. To each's own though :)
When I had to dig up my deceased PP I noticed the tank definitely was flooded and had a bacterial bloom. I did not smell anything before I started digging tho
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:38 pm

The green is algae, and its neither good or bad. Algae grows when it has two things, light and moisture. While it can be a sign of a well mixed substrate, it could also imply that the substrate is a little *too* moist. So its worth keeping an eye on, and using a chopstip or ruler test (push it down into the tank, right to thr bottom next to the glass) and see if the hole holds it shape and any water pools up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies