Replacing Substrate

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
nkurz

Replacing Substrate

Post by nkurz » Thu May 21, 2020 11:47 am

One of my hermit crabs has been hiding and I haven't seen him in a while. It is time for me to replace my substrate but I don't know what to do about the hiding crab. I can't remember the last time I saw him, but I remember him hiding for long periods before. As a new crab owner, I am not for sure what to do, so any feedback will be appreciated!

Motörcrab

Re: Replacing Substrate

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 am

What do you mean "time to replace the substrate?"

Unless you have a tank emergency such as a bacterial blooms of a flood you shouldn't need to replace the substrate. Some people have had the same substrate for years.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 21, 2020 12:03 pm

I agree with Motorcrab. No need for a substrate change.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
nkurz

Post by nkurz » Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Thank you! I read that you should replace the substrate every 6 months and it was getting close to that time. I did not know that you could have it that long. That makes it a lot easier!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 21, 2020 5:23 pm

There is an awful lot of incorrect information about hermit crabs out there unfortunately. Most of the free pamphlets at pet stores have incorrect or extremely outdated information. Xeno and I can honestly say since finding the HCA almost three years ago and following the care guides and asking lots of questions we have learned a lot of information. Not only that but we also noticed our crabs become more active and really growing compared to before.

I highly recommend reading through our care sheets. There is a lot of useful information there to get you started. It's a great place to help troubleshoot issues you may have.
viewforum.php?f=120

Oh yeah! Welcome to the HCA!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 22, 2020 3:06 pm

I have never replaced my substrate. I only add to it. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com