Mold Issue :(

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
asiankanye

Mold Issue :(

Post by asiankanye » Thu May 28, 2020 4:01 pm

I recently bought a hammock from a PetSmart, and it has grown mold. I did mist with freshwater, but for the past week or so, I have been misting with saltwater with Instant Ocean. When the hammock was still growing mold, I took it out, boiled it, and then soaked it in saltwater to kill the mold. I read that soaking in saltwater would prevent mold growth, but it's still growing mold. How do I fix this? BTW, I have to boil instead of bake because my oven broke a while ago and we have a tiny oven that the hammock won't fit in. When I took it out to clean, I also boiled and soaked everything that had been in contact with the hammock, including the climbing vine, the plant, and a climbing background serving as a ramp.

Topic author
asiankanye

Re: Mold Issue :(

Post by asiankanye » Fri May 29, 2020 6:18 pm

/bump pls i need help

Hermielover121

Re: Mold Issue [emoji20]

Post by Hermielover121 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:32 pm

I don’t know what else to do that are the only things I know. I would want to keep that hammock but if it keeps growing mold you may need to throw it out, sorry it’s the only thing I can think of. If this happens to any mother pieces in you tank update us and maybe there will be a different solution. Hope everything’s well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Mold Issue :(

Post by Motörcrab » Fri May 29, 2020 7:57 pm

I am experiencing the same issue with a reptile hammock we purchased at a store. It was growing mold so I removed it. Soaked it in boiling saltwater, turned the heat off and let it slowly cool and soak for at least 20 minutes. While it was in the water I scrubbed the mold off and did not see any remaining.

I put it back in the tank. Fast forward about 3 weeks and it's regrowing mold again. My humidity isn't high, 80-85%. I don't have mold issues with cholla, or the ropes we make. Foods will start to get mold after 2 days but that is pretty standard. Perhaps it is just salt that is building up on the outside. Similar to how metal things corrode near the ocean due to the salt? I think sometimes things are just made of materials that aren't suited for a crabitat.

I'm going to pull itout tommorow to clean it one more time and see what happens. If it comes back after the next cleaning it won't be returning to the crabitat.

There are two teams when it comes to mold in the crabitat. Some claim it's harmless to crabs and let it be. Others will remove it since mold is harmful to humans.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities