white squishy ball in the crabitat ??

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
juliacinnamon

white squishy ball in the crabitat ??

Post by juliacinnamon » Sun May 31, 2020 4:17 am

Hi, I'm Julia and I'm 15. I made an account specifically to ask about this issue! I found a sort of squishy glob in Edgar and Cannoli's tank. I want to say it reminds me of clay? I'm clueless to what it could be or even what category it would fit under. If it's some kind of waste, its a lot of whatever it is - the glob is probably the same size as Cannoli. They just moved into their big tank, and Cannoli is a new guy - we've had him about a week. Edgar is bigger. The reason I have these guys in the first place is because my sister wasn't taking good care of Edgar (she kept him in a tiny plastic tank with rocks and no heat or humidity). Once she learned that hermit crabs are much more high maintenance than what she thought, she gave him to me so I could take proper care of him. Everything about their living situation is very new to both crabs, if that has anything to do with it. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to post photos to this; something I would get my dad to help me with if it wasn't so late at night. Please if anyone can help do let me know!! I hope my babies are okay, I'm trying my best to keep them happy!!

Topic author
juliacinnamon

Re: white squishy ball in the crabitat ??

Post by juliacinnamon » Sun May 31, 2020 4:37 am

update: after running it under water, it sort of disintegrated, and now in the spoon there are little clear balls left over. I'm assuming this is eggs? still, anything helpful would be great!!

Topic author
juliacinnamon

Post by juliacinnamon » Sun May 31, 2020 4:37 am

update: after running it under water, it sort of disintegrated, and now in the spoon there are little clear balls left over. I'm assuming this is eggs? still, anything helpful would be great!!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun May 31, 2020 6:47 am

Hi! Welcome! Until you said it was the same size as the crab, I was going to say mold. Someone with more experience will have a better idea I'm sure. But if it is eggs they won't survive. They would first need to be laid in the salt water pool. And you can post pics with the Tapatalk app.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun May 31, 2020 8:31 am

It is very likely from old food. I've found these many times before and it freaks me out every single time! I do think they may be composed of either bacterial or fungal colonies. They're mostly odorless and just plain weird.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram