Tank Size

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Cal

Tank Size

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:53 am

Hi y’all! I posted a different question on here yesterday but I just found myself wondering something else.
Has anyone had experience with tanks that are slightly too big for the stand they’re on? I know this is a VERY specific and strange question, so I’m not sure anyone else will have any clue about this lol. My bedroom is pretty small and is the only place I can put my three medium crabs’ tank, but I really would like to get them an upgrade from their current 20 gallon. I’ve found a few good options on facebook marketplace, including a 30 gallon and a 40 gallon, however, i think they will be too large for the stand I have, which is a sort of ikea shelf (30 inches wide) that looks like this:
Would it hurt for the tank to overlap the stand by a few inches on either side?

I’m not sure if this is the right section to post this under, so let me know if it isn’t, and I can delete this and repost it somewhere else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

Maddamay32

Re: Tank Size

Post by Maddamay32 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:16 pm

I had a 30 gallon on that same stand for a few months and I can't recommend it in good conscience. It's not listed to hold the weight of the tank with 6in or more sand in it but also my tank had a leak in it I didn't know about, until I upgraded to a new tank and stand and saw the back and bottom was pretty saturated and I just got lucky that I caught it before it all collapsed.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:27 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:I had a 30 gallon on that same stand for a few months and I can't recommend it in good conscience. It's not listed to hold the weight of the tank with 6in or more sand in it but also my tank had a leak in it I didn't know about, until I upgraded to a new tank and stand and saw the back and bottom was pretty saturated and I just got lucky that I caught it before it all collapsed.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for responding!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:54 pm

I have a better home and garden's stand like that, that I bought and used for a 20/29 gallon aquarium. Depending on dimensions, I think that is as big as it can take. I made sure it was oriented like in the photo, so the weight was distributed onto the sides and not just the screws. I've even kneeled on it a few times to get behind it since moving the tank. It's sturdy for a MDF piece of furniture, but I know that it is not rated for that weight!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:26 pm

wodesorel wrote:I have a better home and garden's stand like that, that I bought and used for a 20/29 gallon aquarium. Depending on dimensions, I think that is as big as it can take. I made sure it was oriented like in the photo, so the weight was distributed onto the sides and not just the screws. I've even kneeled on it a few times to get behind it since moving the tank. It's sturdy for a MDF piece of furniture, but I know that it is not rated for that weight!
Oh, okay. I think i might look into getting an aquarium stand made to hold the weight. Thanks for the help :)!!

Brian_T

Post by Brian_T » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:02 pm

As a side note, you don't want the glass resting directly on a stand's flat surface. The bottom rim of the stand actually keeps the bottom glass raised a hair above the stand/table.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Most tanks come with their own black plastic rims, and so long as that is evenly supported then anything solid can act as a stand.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:02 pm

Brian_T wrote:As a side note, you don't want the glass resting directly on a stand's flat surface. The bottom rim of the stand actually keeps the bottom glass raised a hair above the stand/table.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Oh, that makes sense— most of the tanks i’ve seen and am considering buying have plastic rims to elevate them a little, but I’ll eliminate any that don’t as options!