Egg Cartons

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Cal

Egg Cartons

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:36 pm

Hi everyone! I have one more question and then i’ll stop spamming this forum :P
Would there be any harm in adding cardboard egg cartons to my crabitat, maybe to grow chia in or just use as a general decoration? With that, is cardboard in general harmful to put inside a crabitat? I know it may get too damp due to the humidity, but beyond that, are there any other issues with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Egg Cartons

Post by curlysister » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:58 pm

hmmm....well, it would for sure get damp and break down into mush eventually. The crabs would pick at it and potentially eat it too.
A better option for growing some chia would be to use half an egg shell! They can munch the chia AND the shell container!
Note - not my original idea, I saw someone else do it and thought it was brilliant!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Egg cartons are made of a pulp created from recycled paper products, so any inks, binders, or adhesives present in the recycled material could still be in the carton.

I don’t think I’d use cardboard, not only because it’ll get soggy but also it’s probably not good for the crabs if they try to eat it.

Topic author
Cal

Egg Cartons

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:37 pm

curlysister wrote:hmmm....well, it would for sure get damp and break down into mush eventually. The crabs would pick at it and potentially eat it too.
A better option for growing some chia would be to use half an egg shell! They can munch the chia AND the shell container!
Note - not my original idea, I saw someone else do it and thought it was brilliant!
Oh, thanks for the suggestion! i bake with eggs a lot so that’s a great idea :)

I know my hermit crabs LOVE eggshells too—the first time i put half of one in their tank they ate it all in a couple hours lol.

Do you know if i’d need to sterilize the egg shells at all before putting the chia in and putting it in their tank?

Last edited by Cal on Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:39 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Egg cartons are made of a pulp created from recycled paper products, so any inks, binders, or adhesives present in the recycled material could still be in the carton.

I don’t think I’d use cardboard, not only because it’ll get soggy but also it’s probably not good for the crabs if they try to eat it.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the response, I had no clue what all was in them tbh! Image

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:50 pm

No need to sterilize - you should just be able to put a little sub in there and plant away!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:49 pm

curlysister wrote:No need to sterilize - you should just be able to put a little sub in there and plant away!
Oh, okay! That’s super easy, thanks for the help :)