35 gallon tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Cal
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Location: Florida

35 gallon tank

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:50 pm

Has anybody ever heard of a 35 gallon tank? Not an urgent question or anything of course, but I’m picking a used one up today and I’m curious if that even exists if it isn’t custom lol. The measurements are a bit odd too— something like 3 feet by 13 inches by 17 inches. I looked online for 35 gal tanks and couldn’t find anything!

Along with that, how would I go about cleaning it? From the pictures I’ve seen, it needs a good cleaning, but I’m definitely willing to since it‘s only $25. I’ve heard vinegar, but is that effective & safe for cleaning a tank? What should my process be about cleaning it, would I just fill it up with vinegar water and scrub lol? There’s also a metal mesh lid, would that use the same cleaning process? (I’ll look into finding a glass one that fits the odd size soon.)

Again, not urgent or anything, just a few questions if anybody happens to know!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

User avatar

Topic author
Cal
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Location: Florida

35 gallon tank

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:22 pm

Cal wrote:Has anybody ever heard of a 35 gallon tank? Not an urgent question or anything of course, but I’m picking a used one up today and I’m curious if that even exists if it isn’t custom lol. The measurements are a bit odd too— something like 3 feet by 13 inches by 17 inches. I looked online for 35 gal tanks and couldn’t find anything!

Along with that, how would I go about cleaning it? From the pictures I’ve seen, it needs a good cleaning, but I’m definitely willing to since it‘s only $25. I’ve heard vinegar, but is that effective & safe for cleaning a tank? What should my process be about cleaning it, would I just fill it up with vinegar water and scrub lol? There’s also a metal mesh lid, would that use the same cleaning process? (I’ll look into finding a glass one that fits the odd size soon.)

Again, not urgent or anything, just a few questions if anybody happens to know!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just picked up the tank! As it turns out it’s a 30 gallon (~36 in * ~18 in * 13 in), the measurements were slightly off on the OfferUp listing lol. It’s a perfect size for my small room while also being big enough for my crabs, so I can’t wait til it’s clean and I can set it up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

User avatar

Crabby7Crabber
Posts: 919
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:33 pm

If you have time it'd be awesome if you share the set up tank! I love getting tank ideas from fellow crabbers and I'm sure others do too :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
R.I.P George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, Shelly, and Cosmo the dog

User avatar

Topic author
Cal
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Location: Florida

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:03 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:If you have time it'd be awesome if you share the set up tank! I love getting tank ideas from fellow crabbers and I'm sure others do too :D
I’d love to! You mean just like the process of setting it up/the final result?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

User avatar

Wlfwo
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by Wlfwo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:06 am

I had glass cut to fit the mesh part of the lid and duct taped it on. I started with plexiglass, but over time it warped.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

User avatar

Topic author
Cal
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Location: Florida

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:49 am

Wlfwo wrote:I had glass cut to fit the mesh part of the lid and duct taped it on. I started with plexiglass, but over time it warped.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
Ooh, that’s a good idea! I realized when I picked up the tank that it doesn’t have a mesh lid like i thought :-P It’s like plastic instead I think—I’ve never seen this specific type of lid, but i think it’s at least better than mesh lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

User avatar

Crabby7Crabber
Posts: 919
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:43 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:03 pm
I’d love to! You mean just like the process of setting it up/the final result?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, If you have a minute!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
R.I.P George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, Shelly, and Cosmo the dog

User avatar

Topic author
Cal
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Location: Florida

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by Cal » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:18 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote: Yea, If you have a minute!
For sure, I think it would be fun to post the process! :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

User avatar

Topic author
Cal
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Location: Florida

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Here’s my first post on my progress with the new crabitat! I just finished cleaning it up, it was pretty grimy but it looks a lot better now! I’m hopefully going to go to ikea over the weekend to buy a stand to put it on, since my current one is too small by a few inches lol. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

User avatar

SilverHermits
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:41 pm
Location: Earth

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by SilverHermits » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:52 pm

I have a 35 gallon, it's a nice size but I'm planning on upgrading soon
I have had hermit crabs for over 9 years so far (Yes, I got them when I was 7) I currently have 6 hermit crabs (last time I checked anyway) split between two tanks, one is a 30 gallon and the other is a 35 gallon with a 15 gallon topper tank. I believe I only have Purple Pinchers.

User avatar

Topic author
Cal
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Location: Florida

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:04 am

SilverHermits wrote:I have a 35 gallon, it's a nice size but I'm planning on upgrading soon
Oh, yea! How many crabs do you have in it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

User avatar

SilverHermits
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:41 pm
Location: Earth

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by SilverHermits » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:33 pm

Cal wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:04 am
Oh, yea! How many crabs do you have in it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 4 hermit crabs in the 35 gallon, but I also have a 15 gallon topper. At least 2 if not 3 are molting, the other one only comes out between 2 and 6 am before going underground for the day.
I have had hermit crabs for over 9 years so far (Yes, I got them when I was 7) I currently have 6 hermit crabs (last time I checked anyway) split between two tanks, one is a 30 gallon and the other is a 35 gallon with a 15 gallon topper tank. I believe I only have Purple Pinchers.

User avatar

Topic author
Cal
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Location: Florida

Re: 35 gallon tank

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:55 pm

SilverHermits wrote: I have 4 hermit crabs in the 35 gallon, but I also have a 15 gallon topper. At least 2 if not 3 are molting, the other one only comes out between 2 and 6 am before going underground for the day.
Oh, okay! That’s about my crabs’ schedule too, when they aren’t molting! Toppers seem cool, i might try one someday!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

User avatar

Topic author
Cal
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Location: Florida

35 gallon tank

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:57 pm

Image
Finally bought and built the stand, it’s from ikea, and 47.5 inches wide, so even bigger than I needed! The weight limit said only like 70 lbs, but I sat on it and I’m around 150, so I‘m sure it’ll be okay! I’m going to put the tank on and set it up tomorrow morning, since it’s almost 11:00 pm where I live!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

Post Reply