Wood in tank (and purchasing decorations)

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
nkurz

Wood in tank (and purchasing decorations)

Post by nkurz » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:12 pm

I had wood in my tank, but I quickly took it out as it developed mold. I had a half log and a cholla stick. How do you treat the wood to prevent it from growing mold in the high humidity? I tried searching for answers online, but I didn't have much luck.

On another note, where do you guys find all your decorations? I am thinking about upgrading to a 20 gal tank, but I wanted to find more things to put inside my tank. I've seen pictures of tanks and they have a lot of cool plants and other things inside! I have looked on Amazon and the PetSmart website for decorations, but none of them were really appealing, if you know what I mean. I guess I'm really not sure what is good inside a tank and where to find it.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wood in tank (and purchasing decorations)

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:48 pm

You can soak the wood in saltwater to reduce mold growth. Marine salt or Kosher salt will work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:12 pm

I know JoeHermits already answered the question about mold/wood, but I have a few decoration ideas! I’m sure you’ve probably heard of a lot of these, but I’ll list the ideas I can think of anyways.

I’ve heard a lot of people say plastic vines are a good way to add some greenery to your tank without having to spend much money or take care of any plants.
While it’s more practical than decorative, egg crate like this:Imagetends to be pretty popular with crabs for climbing.
You can also do a sort of “multi-level” kind of thing with plastic corner shower shelves, which you can put certain safe kinds of moss in, or use as a shell
shop.
Hamster wheels with plastic mesh added for “grips” are good options that crabs seem to like, too!
If you want real plants in your crabitat, chia is nice because it grows REALLY fast from my experience, and crabs like to eat it, too! I also grew wheat grass in my crabitat one time, but that can be sort of annoying since it takes a long time to sprout.
I know you already have tried out wood in the crabitat, too, but driftwood comes in a lot of cool shapes and you can get it cheap from etsy, as long as you check to make sure it doesn’t have any pesticides on it.

Most of this can be found on amazon, with the exception of chia seeds (which you just get from the grocery store) and driftwood (from etsy, usually).

Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:30 pm

You can also use plastic garments vines. I use those and gutter liner which works really good and it is very cheap. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/peak-p ... 1000183439 that is what I got And I use bamboo rods bought on Amazon to hold it up as well as I used zip ties to attach more mesh onto the rod and also attached fake vines. It works great ( bamboo rods was not my idea I got it from some other crabbers I this website)