I THINK THERE IS A MUSHROOM GROWING?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

I THINK THERE IS A MUSHROOM GROWING?

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:16 am

The title says it all. I linked a pic below- what should I do? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: I THINK THERE IS A MUSHROOM GROWING?

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:13 pm

'Shrooms happen. Just yank it out.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:27 pm

okay thanks, good to know haha

out of curiosity, how do they happen exactly? Don't the spores need to get in there...?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:50 pm

Fungi grow wherever there's food and moisture. The spores are pretty much everywhere, so there's not much you can do to keep them out.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:44 pm

In theory, if the mushroom isn't poisonous, could it be left in there for the crabs to eat? I'm not great at telling mushrooms apart tho. I know if it's in the grocery store it's safe, and that's about it lol!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:03 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:In theory, if the mushroom isn't poisonous, could it be left in there for the crabs to eat? I'm not great at telling mushrooms apart tho. I know if it's in the grocery store it's safe, and that's about it lol! Image

I was actually wondering about this.... okay so this sounds bad, but I spotted the mushroom right as my family was leaving for my grandma’s house, and there wasn’t time for me to pull it out. I planned on it when we got back (which was a few minutes ago) AND IT’S GONE. One of my PPs is hanging out right where th e mushroom is. I’m pretty sure he ate it- and he seems fine. I don’t think there’s much i can do this at this point, honestly.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:06 pm

avocadocrabbies wrote: I was actually wondering about this.... okay so this sounds bad, but I spotted the mushroom right as my family was leaving for my grandma’s house, and there wasn’t time for me to pull it out. I planned on it when we got back (which was a few minutes ago) AND IT’S GONE. One of my PPs is hanging out right where th e mushroom is. I’m pretty sure he ate it- and he seems fine. I don’t think there’s much i can do this at this point, honestly.

It sounds like your crabby had a snack while you were gone lol. I'd say, just keep an eye on him over the next day or two to see if there's any behavior changes. Otherwise, I would think he's probably fine. Maybe a little overstuffed though eating that all by himself. Image

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav