Heat Mat Placement

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Pizza Hermit

Heat Mat Placement

Post by Pizza Hermit » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:58 pm

I was doing research and came across someone asking if they should put their heat mat above the substrate or halfway or just from the bottom up aka level with the substrate. What’s the correct or best place to place my heat mat for my hermits.

Also if my temp is ranging from 75-82 is this ok? Is this good temperature? Should I still put my heat mat on? What’s too hot for a hermit crab?

Also what percentage is too humid for a hermit crab?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heat Mat Placement

Post by curlysister » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:29 pm

The heat mat is meant to heat the air, not the sub. So above the sub is best....but if it goes somewhat below the line, that's fine too. Just keep an eye out because it will dry out the sub quicker.

75-82 degrees is perfect as far as temp goes.

There is no such thing as 'too' humid. My tank is consistently over 90% and often up to 99%. The higher humidity can tend to lead to more mold, but it is not harmful to crabs.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Pizza Hermit

Post by Pizza Hermit » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Ohh ok I see thank you! So in your opinion should I even put a heat mat on rn since my temp has that range?

Topic author
Pizza Hermit

Post by Pizza Hermit » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:33 pm

Also what’s too hot?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:08 pm

If your temp is staying in that range, I personally would not add a heat mat. Too hot is over 85 for prolonged periods (I think).
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:41 pm

IMO temperatures should stay around 80 at all times. The only time IMO that it should dip below 80 is at night. I do not let my tanks get above 85/86. I have thermostats on my tanks so the heaters cut off and don't go above that.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com