Heat mat and climbing wall

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
hermie3

Heat mat and climbing wall

Post by hermie3 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi there-

With a UTH mounted on the back wall of the tank, can I also mount things on the interior glass of the back wall of the tank? I have one of those coconut fiber climbing mats that I was thinking of mounting on the back wall. But I wasn't sure if that would impair the tank heating ability of the UTH mat, or make the coconut climbing mat too hot for the crabs to climb on comfortably. Thoughts? I've been trying to look at crabitat photo's here to get ideas, but cannot really tell where things are mounted in relation to the heat sources.

Thanks

FJrocks003

Re: Heat mat and climbing wall

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:38 pm

You could mount the climbing wall there, yes. But that climbing wall you are talking about using is not really a good idea. I know that some people do use them without problems but I hate that type. Because of the humidity and wet substrate mine always just fell apart and molded all over the tank. So, yes, you could mount a climbing wall there but I wouldn't recommend that climbing wall.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Topic author
hermie3

Post by hermie3 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Thanks for the input! I'm not thrilled about moldy stuff! What do you use for climbing that holds up better? I'm fine with switching out that type of mat for something else that lasts better.

Dumluck

Post by Dumluck » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:03 pm

I read that cork works well as a climbing wall and doesnt mold

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 am

I personally don't recommend blocking your heaters with anything thick. I think the coco mat is fine as long as it's thin, but you might find the hermit crabs will find a way to climb behind it to hide and stay warm there. Just make sure that the whole tank has the capability of staying warm with it being covered. High quality heaters such as ones from reptilebasics.com and beanfarm.com will do it, but zoomed ones will not.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com