Double up a heater

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Double up a heater

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:43 pm

I purchased an ultratherm a while back for the 75gal I was going to set up. I guess I thought I was going to put in higher substrate. It's about 11inches. But there's space below the heater that has no substrate. It's just air. I have the heater from the 40 gallon I dismantled. But it's too big to fill in the space. I'd really like to not purchase another heater. So can I put this 2nd heater partially on top of the one that's there?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Double up a heater

Post by curlysister » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 am

I would not, but I don't know if there is an 'official' recommendation from the manufacturer or if that's just me.
I would measure the temp at the sub level where the heater is, as well as a few other locations in the tank. If the temp is fine, I would leave it. If not, I would just move it a bit lower so it's at sub level.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Re: Double up a heater

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:47 pm

curlysister wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 am
I would not, but I don't know if there is an 'official' recommendation from the manufacturer or if that's just me.
I would measure the temp at the sub level where the heater is, as well as a few other locations in the tank. If the temp is fine, I would leave it. If not, I would just move it a bit lower so it's at sub level.
I'll move the thermometer. But the other half of the tank the sub is higher so it meets the heater. Honestly I don't know how I did that. Lol
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi