What the freak?! Weird noises

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

What the freak?! Weird noises

Post by Nessiandnoah » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:53 pm

So I’ve had my hermit crabs for years and I have no freaking clue what I just witnessed. Well I have some ideas, but I don’t know. My son just called me into his room after I put him to bed because he said he was hearing a noise. When I went in and heard the noise, I realized it was coming from his hermit crab tank. My largest crab was on top the second largest one (I have 3)...it sounded like a scraping noise like if you were scraping metal against glass maybe? They weren’t anywhere near the glass they were in the middle and I didn’t see my larger crab doing anything just was on top of the other one. They were both still in their shells and then they parted ways once I started observing and had turned on the light and stuff. What the freak was that? I know one of my crabs was checking out a shell earlier that my largest crab has used before. Could it have been her dominating my smaller crab with a weird crab call noise? With that being said, I very rarely see these crabs together. My largest crab seems to be underground when my two smaller crabs are out and Vice versa, like they avoid each other. I was thinking maybe my largest crab is just a jerk but I’m not crab behavior expert. anyways thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What the freak?! Weird noises

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:52 pm

It sounds like they just were having a small fight, dominance display like you said. The fact they both disengaged, it was a harmless argument.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:26 pm

Do I need to be worried about them? They have plenty of shells I thought. Should I get more? Could it be a shell thing?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:27 am

Nessiandnoah wrote:Do I need to be worried about them? They have plenty of shells I thought. Should I get more? Could it be a shell thing?

I dont think its a shell thing, to me it sounds more like a hierarchy thing. Nothing to worry about, as one crab wasn't continuously attacking the other - they split up once you came into the room.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 am

Ok thanks :)