The "TAT MAHAL" awesome crabitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
thermidor

The "TAT MAHAL" awesome crabitat

Post by thermidor » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:52 pm

After years of crabbing and being fed up with tats that did not work well or look very good, I decided to take the plunge and do a custom build for my 2 jumbo and one large PP and one medium strawberry. I wanted to make my idea of the perfect habitat; but since there is no such thing, I am open to suggestions for more improvements! The tank is 40 tall x 36 long x 24 deep and has front sliding doors for access.

Equally importantly, now that I have a big 150-gallon tank, I very much want to add some new crabs, specifically indos and violas. If anyone knows where exotics are available, I would really appreciate it and would be especially happy to rehome any who have outgrown your tank. I did order from Triops in Germany but that was early April and I am losing confidence that I will get the crabs as they are not responding.

I list some of the “features” below.
Fresh and salt pools are half gallon each with bubblers. I sunk them into a plastic shoebox which catches splashes/overflow and keeps from flooding the tat
Sub is 12” above a 2” false bottom
With a strawberry I feel UVB light is important, but I hated having lights outside the tank with a partial mesh top and trying to juggle the humidity. So the wire cage protects it and lets me have it inside. The UVB as well as some viewing lights are on a timer.
There are 2 sets of “dangling” thermo/hygrometers. I previously replaced dozens of them as the crabs would always get to the wires and dismember them no matter how well hidden. These are run through plastic pipe to keep the crabs off them. You may note a high temp from each of them as they are higher up in the tank; the temp at the sub is 80-82.
One observation is that with the increased space, the crabs are far more active in the daytime. They seem more “confident” and basically only take short “naps” in the hides in the day.
The PP do less climbing on the back of tank than I expected and I think the exotics will appreciate it more, as I put plenty of vertical climbing structures in.

ImageImageFull view light by Donna Garrou, on Flickr

ImageWater pools by Donna Garrou, on Flickr

ImageFront View by Donna Garrou, on Flickr

asiankanye

Re: The "TAT MAHAL" awesome crabitat

Post by asiankanye » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 pm

That looks literally insane dude. Huge props to you for putting in the time and effort to create this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Links

Post by Links » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:08 am

I bet they love it as much as I do! 😁

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:11 pm

I love the setup. In interested in the tank, as its certainly ab odd design. Is it custom made?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

CrabKate

Post by CrabKate » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Wow what a great setup!!!!!!

CrabKate

Post by CrabKate » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:19 pm

Wow what a great setup!!!!!!

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:41 am

Very cool, I would like to know what kind of tank it is as well. Where did you get it? I've never seen one like it. Of course the interior is super awesome as well! Can we see some more of your crabs?

I love seeing the big guys

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
thermidor

Post by thermidor » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:32 pm

Re: the tank, the size was dictated by a nice heavy table I wanted to put it on. As you know, once you add enough sand the tanks weigh several hundred pounds and need a sturdy base. My table/cabinet is 36" long and 28" deep so it is that size; I would have gone wider if I could. Since I could not, I went up with it to 40" and put loads of enrichment on the back wall.

I did some detailed drawings and the folks at Reptile Island here in Socal built it exactly to my specs; kudos to them on an AWESOME false bottom, using 3/4" glass for strength, and they have a metal hex screen for the top that I could hang things on and then cover with acrylic. If anyone wanted to replicate I am sure they would but it definitely could not be shipped.

My biggest jumbo went down about a week after I set it up, I guess the deep sub was more than he could resist! So God knows if I will see him before Christmas :lol:

But I'll get some pics of the others and get them up.

PS still really looking for brevi and violas if anyone has any contacts!

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:24 am

That’s my dream setup lol
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Nice!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com