Little white worms in water dish!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
TheCrabbyJohnsons

Little white worms in water dish!

Post by TheCrabbyJohnsons » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:30 pm

Hello! We just made the DIY tupperware water dish for our crab so that he can submerse himself. He has buried himself (hoping he will molt!) and is not using it now... And I saw two little white organisms swimming around in it today. They look like worms and are only a few millimeters long. What do I do to get rid of them???

Also, We are in the process of finding a new glass top as we saran wrapped the mesh one we had but fruit flies found a hole and have expressed interest in moving in, a sentiment we do not like. Has anyone had this problem and been able to rid them of the tank? Tried just catching them but they dig in the sand and I can't find them.

Thanks!

HermitofHermitCrabs

Re: Little white worms in water dish!

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Sounds like maggots. I would sterilize the water disc with vinegar, rinse it in spring water, and put it back in.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Little white worms in water dish!

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:50 am

I don't think maggots would be in the water dish only. I would just wash out the water dish and refill it and see what happens.
As for fruit flies, you can put a 'home made' fruit fly trap (ie- with water and cider vinegar and soap) outside the tank to catch them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers