Which type of sand from hardware store?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
hermie3

Which type of sand from hardware store?

Post by hermie3 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 pm

Our local hardware store carries two types of sand, I'm not sure which one is better for the tank. I can also go to a Home Depot, if brands there are ones that more people have used safely and can recommend.

Here is the sand I found- two kinds (and the information printed on the bag):

1) Basalite Utility Sand- 60 lbs. Kiln dried sand for: garden use, cat boxes, non-skid, construction uses
2) Basalite Natural Sand - 50 lbs. Kiln dried and washed for multiple uses: recreational sand, lawn and garden sand, paver sweep sand

Anyone familiar with these? Like I said, I can also go to Home Depot, if there is a brand/type there that works good for the tank.

Thank you!

HermitofHermitCrabs

Re: Which type of sand from hardware store?

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:07 pm

Regular play sand is what you want.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:15 pm

This is what I usually buy from Home Depot or Lowe's:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-50 ... /100318476

It's screened, washed, and dried.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
hermie3

Post by hermie3 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:53 pm

Shoot. The closest Home Depot that carries that one is 60 miles away. For some reason the one near me does not have any in stock. :-(

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:59 pm

hermie3 wrote:Shoot. The closest Home Depot that carries that one is 60 miles away. For some reason the one near me does not have any in stock. :-(
Did you check Lowe's or an Ace Hardware? Just look for a playsand that's at a store near you. It's ok if it's not that particular brand. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:17 pm

Playsand has specifically been washed and screened, and because it is for kids the composition is well regulated. Basalite has a single MSDS for all their products, which states only "60%-100%" quartz sand. You want it to all be quartz sand. I'd be cautious since they aren't very forthcoming with what is in their stuff.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hermie3

Post by hermie3 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:35 pm

Thank you, Wodesorel! That is super helpful. I couldn’t find any information on the Basalite packaging stating exactly what was in the sand. I’m so glad I asked here first. I will see if the nearest Lowe’s has some sand in stock specifically labeled as playsand. Thank you again!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:44 pm

What about pool filter sand? It is also well regulated, and pure quartz. Sometimes there are pool supply retailers in really odd places!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram