Upgraded to 29g Crabitat - Feedback please!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Motörcrab

Re: Upgraded to 29g Crabitat - Feedback please!

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:41 pm

It's looking good! I'm sure they will love to climb everywhere.

I'm not sure about the stump hide you have in your crabitat. If it is for hamsters and labeled as edible it probably isn't safe for your hermits. They are generally highly processed and glued together and contain preservatives. I would look up the one you have and check the ingredients list just to be safe!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
CrabMom925

Post by CrabMom925 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:23 pm
I freaking love your Tupperware hidy invention!!! Did your own brain think that up, or have you seen that somewhere else? Because that's a first for me!

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
Haha, thank you! My own brain thought it up :D I knew I needed something else on the 'second level' to attach the the bridge to, and I didn't want to go get another caddy so I used tupperware, cut a hole in the side and ziptied it to the egg crate. I put a cocofiber mat at the "bottom" of the hut and put some greenery on the "top." I think it turned out pretty good!!
Mom to a 5 year old wild child, 1 dog, 2 cats and 4 hermit crabs :-)

Topic author
CrabMom925

Post by CrabMom925 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:31 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:53 am
Wow, it certainly is a nice crabitat! Love all the foliage you have in there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thank you!!

Topic author
CrabMom925

Post by CrabMom925 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:41 pm
It's looking good! I'm sure they will love to climb everywhere.

I'm not sure about the stump hide you have in your crabitat. If it is for hamsters and labeled as edible it probably isn't safe for your hermits. They are generally highly processed and glued together and contain preservatives. I would look up the one you have and check the ingredients list just to be safe!
The stump hide is plastic, so all good. I got a lot of my ideas from some of the pics you've shared of your crabitats, so thank you for the inspiration!!

I finally got the final crab moved over about 2 weeks ago, and so far none of them seem to be exploring much. I do have some moss in the second level hut and I occasionally see little pieces of moss on the ground below it, so maybe they've climbed up there at night to explore? I wish I could see them more active though! They're definitely either very lazy, or still stressed. I actually just posted in the emergency forum because I think one might be dead. I'm hoping not, but I don't think things are looking good :(

hermit_crab_mommy

Post by hermit_crab_mommy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:23 pm

CrabMom925 wrote:Hi everyone!

I've had my 4 hermies for about a month now. After thinking a 10g tank was fine (per the guy at the pet store :roll: ) I quickly realized I needed to upgrade. I opted for the 29g and have spent the last few weeks getting it ready. I swear I felt like an architect/engineer trying to measure everything out pre-installation, installing the egg crate, making the pools, made my own jute rope bridge, made an extra 'hideout' with a tupperware container, hamster wheel, etc. It's been a process and I'm pretty sure my husband wanted to kill me when I was constantly coming home from the store with new things :lol:

I'm going to attempt to post pictures below but not sure if they'll show up. I'm using Photo bucket but I see something that mentions there will be a watermark on them. No clue what the watermark will look like until I post I think? But assuming they show up, I'd love some feedback or advice if you see something I could be doing better.

Some details of the tank:
* 7-8 inches of substrate (play sand mixed with cocofiber)
* two pools (fresh and salt) deep enough for them to submerge with rocks inside and craft mesh ramps
* bubblers in the pools
* Moss pit above the water pools
* Hamster wheel for fun
* Two hideout huts on the ground level and one hanging (I made it out of tupperware)
* Added climbing wall and other hanging plants to help them climb up to higher levels
* Bean farm heat mats on the back of the tank

A couple of questions....
1. I calibrated my hygrometer and it was about 3% off from the ideal 75% humidity for table salt, so I know I need the humidity in my tank to show no less than 83% on the hygrometer. When I first put the tank fully together and added the bubblers, moss, etc. the humidity got up to 90%. Now I'm barely hitting 80%. I'm not sure what else I can do since I'm already doing the moss and bubblers. Any other ideas? The substrate seems fine - it's sandcastle consistency and when I stick a pencil in it, it doesn't cave in.

2. I bought some 1L water jugs because I felt like my gallon jugs that I was pre-making for the salt and freshwater were sitting for too long before using them fully. But now I'm struggling with the dose of Prime for 1L. After googling it looks like .025ml but how on earth do I measure that out? I bought an eye dropper and did a teeny tiny drop hoping that it was .025ml but there's no way to know for sure. Anyone have a better solution?

3. I still have 1 hermie in the 10g tank. He (she?) has been buried since the day we brought them home. How long until I get worried? I know not to dig it up, so it will stay in there for as long as it needs, but I really want to move him over because the new tank is SO much better. No bad smells or anything in the tank, so I'm guessing he/she is fine and maybe molting?

4. The three crabs that I did move over are all huddled together in the back right corner and don't seem to have moved much in days. In the mornings I can sometimes see that food has moved around so I'm sure they're eating at night, but should I be worried they're not more active? I also find it odd that where they're huddled, they semi dug down - basically just kicked some substrate around but are still pretty much on top of it. If they were stressed, wouldn't they dig completely down and bury? How do I know if the substrate is too hard for them to dig down in? I'm able to stick a pencil in it so I think it's ok but I can't help but worry.

5. Can the bubblers be too strong? I'm worried the "current" they create might deter the crabs from going in? Since I never see them over there, I'm not really sure if they're going in or not. Also, how often do I need to change out the water when i'm using bubblers?

6. I think the temp is ok but want to double check. I got a thermostat along with the hygrometer/thermometer and both are at the front of the tank - in different corners - and never get below 80 degrees. Since the mats are at the back, I assume it's probably closer to 85-87 degrees in the back. Is lower 80's ok for the front of the tank? Or should I insulate the mats to try to get the heat up a bit?

Ok, now on to pictures. Hopefully these work!!

** Edit: Was able to get pictures to work via Dropbox! Pics in a comment but also trying to re-add them here. (yes, I have a lid. Just not here in order to take decent pictures)

Thanks all!!
The pictures look great! I love everything you did. The only thing I can think of for feedback is a few extra shells but it looks AMAZING.
New owner of 3 purple pinchers who I love

PinkyNTwinkie33

Post by PinkyNTwinkie33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:42 pm

Looks like you will have some happy crabbies on your hands!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 PPs -
2 Large: Pinky and Blue
3 Medium/Large: Speedy, Cupid and Tiny
1 Teeny: Totz

1 Cat: Twinkie
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:40 am

How did you install the mesh to the glass? (The egg crate like mesh on the back that you call the climbing wall) and what did you use for the climbing wall?
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:46 am

Pumpkincrab wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:40 am
How did you install the mesh to the glass? (The egg crate like mesh on the back that you call the climbing wall) and what did you use for the climbing wall?
The eggcrate is secured with zip ties to eachother and cut to size so it fits snuggly on the back. The weight of the substrate and the snug fitting keeps it in place.

As for climbing wall, looks like a coconut fibre mat.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies