Logistics/tips for mixing substrate?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Mamasmurf227

Logistics/tips for mixing substrate?

Post by Mamasmurf227 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Setting up a new tank for my daughters new hermies. :banana: (I used to have a 75 gallon bowfront set up about 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then!!)

I know the basics of mixing substrate (ie what to use, consitency, etc), but am looking for tips on how you all actually prepare the substrate for a new tank. (We're setting up a 29 gallon)

I'm thinking of using a large plastic storage tote to put the sand and EE in and then wet/mix to the right consistency and then scoop it into the tank.

Is there an easier way???? Just trying to figure out the logistics of this..... any tips?

curlysister

Re: Logistics/tips for mixing substrate?

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:56 pm

I have used a brick of EE, put it in a pail, and got it wet with dechlorinated water so it it fluffed up. Then I used a bigger pail with a handle, and measured scoops of the dampened EE and scoops of the play sand into the big pail. I used my hands to mix it together. Then carried the pail inside and upstairs and dumped it into the tank. I knew that if I tried mixing it indoors, I would make a big mess! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:36 pm

Well when I set up my 70 gallon we tried to mix it in the tank and that was a BAD idea. Since the tank in 25” tall we could not mix it properly so now there is unmixed sand at the bottom. Definitely need to mix in a separate container. But I was wondering if it’s OK to be unmixed because I heard somewhere that it could create mold pockets and I’m kind of worried but we have some molters down so what should I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:57 pm

I've used 5 gallon buckets, and small cement mixing bins. The plastic cement bin works the best and was all of like $8. Used it for a few other projects as well!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram