Tank Heater

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
aspearson

Tank Heater

Post by aspearson » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:24 pm

I just got a 10 gallon tank and am looking to get a heater that I can stick on the back of the tank. I do not know where to start or what to look for. Can someone give me a few recommendations. I am looking for something that will be sufficient to keep my crabs comfortable and safe but am hoping not to break the bank.

doth

Re: Tank Heater

Post by doth » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:26 pm

I use ultratherm heat mats, you can get them from the Reptile Basics website

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:55 pm

doth wrote:I use ultratherm heat mats, you can get them from the Reptile Basics website

Do you know how long they last?

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

doth

Post by doth » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:16 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:Do you know how long they last?

I've had mine for I think three years now without any issues. others have had them a lot longer but idk what the life expectancy is so hopefully someone else can chime in

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:25 pm

doth wrote:I've had mine for I think three years now without any issues. others have had them a lot longer but idk what the life expectancy is so hopefully someone else can chime in

Oh dang! That's enough info for me, I was expecting 1 year.

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:04 pm

It is worth it to spend a little more to get a good one. If you get a cheaper one, they are often the ones that have one side that is sticky (ie- Zoo Med). Those ones can not be insulated over top, and the manufacturer does not recommend re-using them (ie- once you stick them in one place, you can't remove and put them onto another place or another tank). The cheaper ones also aren't as efficient at heating the tank.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:58 am

I ordered the Ultratherm Heat Mat and hopefully that will work as well for me as it has for you. If it needs to be upgraded down the line then so be it but at least it will get my little guy in a safe an comfortable environment. Right now he is in the wire cage he came from the beach in today. I put an upside-down rubbermaid box on top and put an electric heating pad made for people on top. I am tracking the humidity and temperature with the thermometer and humidity tracker I already had in my bedroom and I am getting his 10 gallon tank in the morning. I got him before I realized how much environmental regulation was required so now I am working on getting him a safe and comfortable home as quickly as I possibly can.

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Update: he is happy in his new 10 gallon tank with his new sand, 2 water bowls, food bowl, 1 coconut hide and a few things to climb. I have more stuff coming tomorrow including the heating pad, some unpainted shells and some dehydrated proteins. His sand it only about 5 inches so I need to add another inch but he is less than an inch long so I will add it as soon as I can but I am not immediately concerned about that. For now I know even if his enclosure is kinda bare bones he is safe at about 98% humidity and 76°.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:46 am

The setup sounds amazing. Im sure he's appreciating all the new changes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:40 pm

His heater came today and is working very well, I ordered a thermostat for it that will be here Wednesday.