Hard water spots??

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Hard water spots??

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:35 am

Hey everyone, I hope you are all doing well 😁 I'm going to clean and add more substrate soon, since my two babies Jubali and Aaron Burr have just completed their second molt (they both look so handsome/pretty!) And I believe my biggest one Hoodini (he's been with me one year as of a few days ago, yay!) is going to molt soon. I was inspecting some of the furniture pieces they have, and I realized that on part of the glass there is these hard water spots. I don't really know how to describe them, but if you have a minute, please google them to see what they look like. I tried wiping them away with some water and paper towels but it isn't working. I'm really afraid to use anything else because I don't want it to be unsafe for them(I've looked at a few methods, and they involve things like baking soda, salt and vinegar. Are these all safe or--?). Has anyone ever had this problem, and if so, how did you solve it? If you haven't and you're reading this, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I thank you in advance for any replies 😊 I apologise for being inactive. I've been studying different subjects and doing different things, it's hard for me to participate for the conversation on here. but I promise I'll try to be more active now! Hope everyone and their hermies are well! :crabbigsmile:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hard water spots??

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:13 am

Baking soda, vinegar, and salt are all fine to use. Vinegar would be the main agent here since its acidity reacts with and removes limescale. I don’t know what the soda and salt are supposed to do.

Have you tried scraping it off with a razor blade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:47 am

I use white vinegar and/or razor blades to remove water spots, because we have ridiculously hard water that causes buildup on everything! Both are safe to use around the crabs so long as you are careful.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:47 am

I have used salt, aquarium salt on fish tanks. You use it like an abrasive. Not much good if the tank is occupied.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:43 am

Thank you all so much for the replies! I will definitely try using razor blades!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺