Crabitat okay?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Jaimeh

Crabitat okay?

Post by Jaimeh » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:34 pm

Looking for feedback on if the crabitat is good as is. 2 hermit crabs in a 10- gallon tank (I now know it should be 20, but didn’t know when we bought it...will upgrade some day). Substrate is a mix of coconut fiber and sand (I find this hard to spot clean...can’t see where needs cleaned up, so I just scraped the top layer tonight). Salt water and fresh water pools, food in a shell. No lights, but the room gets natural light during the day. No heater right now, but will get one in the winter (stays at 80 degrees now). I cover the screen 3/4 of the way with Saran Wrap to keep humidity in (usually stays between 70 & 90%), considering getting rid of the sponges and using moss if needed. I had 5 spare shells, but they buried two. I am afraid to dig them up because the crabs bury themselves all day long and only come out when we’re headed to bed...I’ll have to order more. Also - is that normal to stay buried every single day? I feel bad the kids never get to play with their pets! Is the tank too crowded?? Missing anything? Thank you! PS - I have pictures to attach, but I don’t see how to do so...

crabs_lex

Re: Crabitat okay?

Post by crabs_lex » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:46 pm

Sounds good but i would not let the humidity drop below 80 or 75 at the very least
and i would get rid of the sponges if they are used as a water and humidity source
and he’s good idea looking for more shells i buy mine of etsy
and yes it very normal to stay buried all day and never dig them up
also most of us chose to barely ever handle our crabs (not sure if that’s what u meant by saying the kids play with them) handling them could definitely stress them out
also to attach pictures you would have to download the tapatalk app (think that’s how it’s spelled)

FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:21 am

How deep is the substrate? Also you can use imgur to attach pics if you don't have tapatalk. As for molting, it can take up to 8 months depending on the size of the crab, so don't get worried if they stay buried for a while.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Topic author
Jaimeh

Post by Jaimeh » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:47 pm

I downloaded tapatalk - thank you! Here are the pictures...I will take out the sponges. Also, been watching humidity and it has been sitting around 80%. The substrate is ~5 inches deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xambackwards

Post by xambackwards » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:46 pm

looks good! what are those containers?

xambackwards

Post by xambackwards » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:47 pm

they look great

Topic author
Jaimeh

Post by Jaimeh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 am

Thank you all for checking it out & giving feedback! The containers are little drawer organizers I found on amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0118B1Y ... asin_title