Is lawn sand okay?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
DUDE

Is lawn sand okay?

Post by DUDE » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:17 am

I live in Asia and no one really sells play sand here unless you want to get it for like 9 dollars per 5kg ( around 7USD per. 11lbs) which is a ridiculous price. Building sand/ all purpose sand is also sold by the ton so there is no way I can buy that. So far, I've been using just coco peat in as my substrate until i recently read that it can become too acidic over time. As a result, i went searching and found a product called lawn sand which is made of mix of one part sulphate of iron, three parts sulphate of ammonia and twenty parts dry sand (according to google) so I was wondering if this is safe to use in the crabitat? Any help is welcome:)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is lawn sand okay?

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:11 pm

I am not sure about the sand. But many crabbers use all coco fiber with no problems at all. It can be harder to maintain, but won't burn your crabs or cause them any harm.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers