Ants In The Tank: Cleaned Tank But Ants Came Back

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
jonathon1989
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:30 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Ants In The Tank: Cleaned Tank But Ants Came Back

Post by jonathon1989 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:29 am

Yesterday, I noticed that Clawdia was acting different. She was in the corner of the tank and hanging out of her shell. When I took her out she was covered in ants. After removing them off of her shell I looked in the tank and found ants in the substrate. I spent five hours cleaning out the substrate and then bathed the crabs. Then put them into an ISO tank. Then went to the store and bought new substrate and other necessities. Then came back had to put in the new substrate into the main tank and the ISO Tank where I am keeping two small molters. Then by eight in the evening I went to Walmart to buy pest control.

Finally, this morning I went into the tank and found two ants. One on the top of the tank and one in the new substrate. I spent 70 dollars yesterday and there is no way I ca get new substrate. I really need advice on how how to handle this.

Jonathon


DUDE
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:24 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Ants In The Tank: Cleaned Tank But Ants Came Back

Post by DUDE » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:25 am

Sorry I can't really help you on how you can alleviate your current situation, however, I used to rear ants and ant keepers usually put a layer of vaseline at the rim of the tank to keep the ants from crawling out of an open topped container. Maybe you would wanna try that but just at the bottom of the tank(outside)? Talcum or baby powder mixed with a little water can also be used.

User avatar

RiNiKy506
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: Ants In The Tank: Cleaned Tank But Ants Came Back

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:59 pm

I have recently dealt with ants too, craziest thing bc our house is pretty big and we had them no where else in our house except my largest crab tank and all my tanks are on the 3rd floor in the middle of the house. I was, and still am, baffled how they happened to get there and nowhere else in our house. I used paper towels soaked in vinegar to wipe along where the ants were walking to remove their scent trails. Also use Vaseline along the bottom and top rims of your tank so they can’t get in, it’s so messy but it works. I had also poured a ton of borax around my tanks as a force field but be very careful that none of it gets in your tank. I only had a few ants maybe 3 or 4 times so I don’t know if they finally gave up but the vinegar really works great. I also soaked paper towels in vinegar, wrung them out and layered them at the bottom of the tank, the ants hate the vinegar and it destroys their scent trail. Hope this helps you as well, ants can be a real pain, especially in our crabby tanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
jonathon1989
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:30 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Ants In The Tank: Cleaned Tank But Ants Came Back

Post by jonathon1989 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:21 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I have recently dealt with ants too, craziest thing bc our house is pretty big and we had them no where else in our house except my largest crab tank and all my tanks are on the 3rd floor in the middle of the house. I was, and still am, baffled how they happened to get there and nowhere else in our house. I used paper towels soaked in vinegar to wipe along where the ants were walking to remove their scent trails. Also use Vaseline along the bottom and top rims of your tank so they can’t get in, it’s so messy but it works. I had also poured a ton of borax around my tanks as a force field but be very careful that none of it gets in your tank. I only had a few ants maybe 3 or 4 times so I don’t know if they finally gave up but the vinegar really works great. I also soaked paper towels in vinegar, wrung them out and layered them at the bottom of the tank, the ants hate the vinegar and it destroys their scent trail. Hope this helps you as well, ants can be a real pain, especially in our crabby tanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Rinky! Thank you so much for the information! Im going to try the remdies you wrote about it. I dont want to have to keep going through substrate. Jonathon


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

RiNiKy506
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: Ants In The Tank: Cleaned Tank But Ants Came Back

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:20 pm

jonathon1989 wrote: Hi Rinky! Thank you so much for the information! Im going to try the remdies you wrote about it. I dont want to have to keep going through substrate. Jonathon


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem at all, hope it works for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6982
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Ants In The Tank: Cleaned Tank But Ants Came Back

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:10 pm

FYI, you could have baked your substrate ;)

When I had an ant problem I found that they were living in my shell shack!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

User avatar

Topic author
jonathon1989
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:30 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Ants In The Tank: Cleaned Tank But Ants Came Back

Post by jonathon1989 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:20 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:10 pm
FYI, you could have baked your substrate ;)

When I had an ant problem I found that they were living in my shell shack!
I thought of that but wasn't sure about it.

Thank you.

Jonathon

Post Reply