Humidity with a topper

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Humidity with a topper

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:54 pm

I recently put a topper on my 90gal tank. Everything is sealed up. But now I'm having real issues with the humidity. It had been around 90% before the topper. Now it's 70 and lower. I have bubblers in both pools. I have been misting a bit but don't want to keep doing that. I haven't moistened the moss because they prefer dry moss. I guess I can put another moss pit in that's moist. Any ideas why this is happening? Do others with toppers have same issue?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Humidity with a topper

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 am

It may take a couple of days to stabilise, especially due to the increased volume of air, but, I'd always suggest to calibrate the gauge just in case to rule it out if you haven't already!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:59 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 am
It may take a couple of days to stabilise, especially due to the increased volume of air, but, I'd always suggest to calibrate the gauge just in case to rule it out if you haven't already!
I know my house is very dry. I put out some bowls of water to increase humidity hoping that may help. Lol. I used a different guage, same result.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:36 pm

The guage is working. I put bowls of water around to try and raise humidity in the house. Didn't work. I put wet moss in the tank. Even that didn't work! It usually does. I am at a real loss. Should I unplug one of their heat mats? I really dont want to remove the topper. :(

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:23 pm

I don’t really have much to add here but I agree it may be a bit wonky for a few days. It’s not hopeless yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:50 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:23 pm
I don’t really have much to add here but I agree it may be a bit wonky for a few days. It’s not hopeless yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:50 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 am
Thanks.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:34 am

Just to clarify, when you mean everything has been sealed, what has and what have you used exactly?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:31 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:34 am
Just to clarify, when you mean everything has been sealed, what has and what have you used exactly?
The mesh lid has been sealed with plexi glass and tape. All sides of the terrarium topper is sealed in same way. There are only very small gaps for the bubblers and camera cords.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:01 pm

I think I'm going to get a mini humidifier for the tank. I can't get the humidity past 70. And it's usually lower than that. I know I have to be real careful about flooding. :(

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:40 pm

As someone who uses a humidifier in their tank, they do work and flooding is really an issue if the tank is tightly sealed, condensation coupled with excessive amounts of moisture going into the substrate. Just keep an eye on the substrate moisture, and if needed, have a moss pit/water bowl underneath the output to catch drips!

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:13 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:40 pm
As someone who uses a humidifier in their tank, they do work and flooding is really an issue if the tank is tightly sealed, condensation coupled with excessive amounts of moisture going into the substrate. Just keep an eye on the substrate moisture, and if needed, have a moss pit/water bowl underneath the output to catch drips!
Thank you. Can you recommend one? Not expensive. Lol

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:22 am

I just use a normal home humidifier and shoved a piece of aquarium tubing in the output.