Why isnt gravel good?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:59 pm

I have calci-sand and it was suggested I keep it moist so my crab could dig in it, only problem it clumps up when it gets wet? Any suggestions BESIDES buying new stuff (isn't possible anytime soon)?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:29 pm

if you have five dollars you cna get 50 poungs of sand.... if not try going to a river or beach nearby and finding some sand.

it is important to have wet sand so thye can dig, and it helps the humidity. plus, regular sand is much cheaper.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:48 am

Alright I bought a 50 lb bag of play sand yesterday at Meijer (it was only $1.98 -wow :!: ) Now I am wondering if you all have a calculation of how much water I would add to the sand, or do I just estimate it? ^_^

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:23 am

estimate I say, some people don't like adding water, but if you don't go too heavey and mix in the water, it makes nice sand in my opinion - sand that is perfect for digging.

so start with a little water and stir, and then add more as needed. you want to be able to draw circle in the sand with your finger, and not have it cave in b/c the sand is too soupy or too dry.

wow - good price too!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:54 am

Thanks so much! I'll try that at home (at work now) tonight and see how he likes it :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:23 pm

We replaced our gravel with sand yesterday, and the main objection is that everything in the tank has some sand on it-water dish, extra shell, and Salem himself. The stuff feels sort of warm compared to the gravel, but should I add water to it? Hopefully Salem will handle this change well.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:48 pm

moist sand greatly helps with humidity, and crabs can actually dig and tunnel, which they like to do. when the sand is dry, they can't really dig, so I would reccomend wetting it down. but don't add too much water - just enough to make a digging type of sand.