sand or rocks

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

sand or rocks

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:35 am

is one better than the other?
I've used both, it seems they can burrow in either, I like the rocks because I can wash them in a strainer. But some say sand makes a better habitat.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:21 pm

I prefer sand. It holds more humidity and also I think they are able to dig in it easier than rocks. Maybe if you want you could have a second level with that as a substrate?

Topic author
Chompman

Post by Chompman » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:28 pm

Sand will work better for both humidity and holds up better to let the hermies dig.

Make sure the rocks are Aquarium safe or something like that since they need to be smooth if you are still going to use it for part of the substrate.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:15 pm

Rocks they can make little pot holes in, but not totally bury. My guys like to make tunnels, and that could never happen with rocks.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:54 pm

I started using the rocks because I read that the crabs really dont like to be dirty and it seems like the sand was messy.
Maybe I'll do half and half and see what side they hang out on.
It would be interesting. I'll let ya'll know.
Thanks for answering.
Did you see my post about the
Hermit Hotel and Spa?

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:13 pm

ceoofjto wrote:I started using the rocks because I read that the crabs really dont like to be dirty and it seems like the sand was messy.
He, he. This seems like a funny thing because in the wild, I imagine the crabs would usually be "dirty" and of course the beach has sand. I have even heard of experienced crabbers that have used (organic) potting soil and leaf litter as substrates. Talk about "dirt"y. BTW, where did you read that? I don't mean to discount your idea, but it just struck me as funny.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:35 pm

My substrate of choice is one half of the tank sand, the other half is eco earth. I started out with rocks, but they REALLY hate to walk on those when they're small crabs.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:37 pm

I also started with rocks but switched to moist sand instead. I have smaller crabs, and it seemed like they had difficulty moving around on the rocks. Now, with sand, they cruise around the tank with ease! I also heard that rocks can be bad for hermit crabs because small rocks may become stuck inside the shell and cause irritation to the crab's abdomen.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:03 am

I'd use a mix. :D Maybe a little more sand then rock because it's easier to move around in sand, rocks can damage their feet and lower life span. Sand is easier to move it it's good for molting and they like to dig alot. So use both! 8)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:01 am

Oh my, call me old fashioned, but i am really surprised that rocks are even considered.

If you are going to have rocks/gravel whatever, please don't have it be the only substrate.

The crabs need to be able to not only burrow, but create a little alcove or cave if you will under the substrate. They will carry water in their shells and use this as they pack the sand/EE/FB/soil into a dome shape around them. Once there they will molt, or sometimes just chill for a bit. This structure can't collapse on the a crab, especially an everso delicate molter.

Rocks they can't manipulate the way they would the subtrates they know instinctively. It's almost forcing them to surface molt. And crabs know that is pretty much equivelent to death in the wild. Which is a huge reason for needing substrate (ground cover) to burrow in.

Please share the documentation on crabs not wanting to be dirty as well as documentation on using rocks. This is new info to me.

I know they like to dump their shells often of doodles and other things they may have picked up, but I have never read of not offering a substrate due to them being fastidious shell keepers. I'm intrigued.

Thanks,
mel

Edit: for spelling