String and twine??

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

String and twine??

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:28 pm

I have a piece of smooth driftwood in my tank propped up against my 2nd level as a way to get up and down, but nobody can use it as it is really slick. I do have netting for them to use too, but does anyone have a suggestion of what I could use to wrap the driftwood with so they could climb it? I was thinking twine (I want to use something that looks natural and blends in with the sand), but don't know if it would mold or not. I know hemp can mold, but is there anything else?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:26 pm

would hemp mold if soaked in salt water?

sorry, I'm not an expert here, but I just thought that maybe salt water would solve the problem.

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:49 pm

Heart brand of yarn doesnt mold and is hermie safe. :) I sewed a palmtree with the stuff and it was in the tank for ayear and no mold what so ever! (and its cheap!)

Im sure there are browns and greens and stuff that you can use...I personally went for the tri-color aqua, teal and purple! lol ...it went with the plastic canvas stuff I got to make the palm tree :)
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:19 am

I like the idea of twine and the practical idea of the heart brand yarn (great to know that it does not mold, we may try). Would you think a neutral raffia could be an option? Unsure on whether or not it would mold easily. Or a non-died leather rope? Would want to check on safety of these materials for hermies.

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:39 am

Hmmm.. I think the rafia might work for a short while, before some one eats it lol ....thats what mine do, ihave a cocohammock that was tied together with hemp and Doughnut shredded all the ropes and proceeded to eat the hemp while she was shredding lol!!!

The leather might be good to, I cant imagine it would mold, but check out the "curing agents" or the chemicals they add to it, if any.
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch