How to treat found driftwood?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Mormegil

How to treat found driftwood?

Post by Mormegil » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:22 pm

Hey everyone,

I was down in Malibu near Zuma Beach, a pretty clean area. I found 2 nice pieces of driftwood, one still damp with ocean water, and one bone dry.

Any suggestions on what kind of treatment I should be these through before putting them in the crabitat?

Thanks

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:49 pm

I think they bake it or boil it or something. Wai tuntil someone else comes. I dont know.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:01 am

For fish tanks, you used to have to soak the driftwood in freshwater for a couple of weeks to get the tannins out. This is the driftwood I have subsequently used in my crabitat. The crabs climb on it and eat it (I have Aust. land hermit crabs). I think though, you could get away with soaking the driftwood in boiling water for a little while to kill any nasties, let it dry and then use it.
I figure that crabs in the wild don't have sterilised wood and they're fine.
Does this help?
Happy crabbing!

Topic author
Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:47 am

That sounds sensible. One of the pieces of wood is small enough to boil. The other is way too big for a pot. I could fit it in the oven for a 15-20 minute bake though. I'd better let it dry out thouroughly before I try that, if it's wet inside and dry outside, it could explode like popcorn.

Does anyone have any experience baking driftwood?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:25 pm

I have 2 huge pieces myself that used to be in my 75 gallon fishtank. Now I'd like to use a piece for my crabs. I plan on scrubbing them, soaking them a bit in the tub and then probably baking them. I think they have to be damp though to bake so they don't catch on fire - not positive about this tho... I wonder if just setting them out in the sun would be good enough? Not really sure though, sorry!

Topic author
troppo

Post by troppo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:24 pm

Hiya Mormegil,

I collect driftwood off my local beach as well,there's tonnes of the stuff.
Anyway,if the drifwood has alot of holes in it,i first wipe any matter of the surface,and then seal it in a plastic bag for up to a month,that should flush out any bugs.
If the driftwood hasn't any deep holes,i just give it a once over with a clean cloth and put it straight in the tat(shock horror,lol),i have been collecting driftwood for months now,and it hasn't had any adverse effects on my crabbies.
In the end it's up to you what you'd like to do,but I'd be hesitant about putting it in an oven in case of fire.