New Owner-Doing Science Project on humidity and temp.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

New Owner-Doing Science Project on humidity and temp.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:21 pm

Hi my name is Laurie,
I have brought some hermit crabs for my son.My son decided that he wanted to do his science project on the temperature and humidity levels for hermit crabs.I have done alot of reading on them...but I could use some help.
When I first got yhe hermit crabs..I didnt know anything really.No one seems to have the info that I am looking for.
I have put my hermies in a glass aquarium..I have purchased a humidity gauge and a temperature gauge.I have put the Calci sand on there for them.I have raised the humidity from 50% to 70%...the temp is 78 degreees.I have a sponge in there for them in their water bowl.
I hope that I am doing this right..LOL.....But my questions are as follows...I will not do experiments on my hermies..that would be cruel..So my first question is....
1)What happens to a hermit crab if the temperature is to low?How do they respond?
2)What is the temp is to high?..What would happen?
3)The humidity is suppose to be between 70 and 80%..What if it isn't?
what if its to low?..Or to high?
I have to make temperature graphs and humidity graphs...So someone please help me out here...Like I said..I do not want to subject my crabs to prove a point for a science project..Yet I need very detailed info.
I also need to talk with someone who breeds hermit crabs...someone I can use as a reference for this project..Any suggestions?
Thank you to anyone who responds.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:28 pm

Welcome! You can find a lot of info at hermit-crabs.com too.

From what I have read, if the temperature is too low, the crabs will go into a type of hibernation. If the humidity is too high, it will suffocate them. It would be like us trying to breathe through a hot, wet washcloth. I don't know exactly what is considered too high or too low, as we try to keep our crabs at a nice 75-85 for both temp and humidity.

As for breeding, that doesn't happen in captivity. it requires the ocean for that. Hermit crabs are born in the ocean and only come to land after the baby stage. Because we can't replicate the ocean 100%, I don't think it is even possible.

good luck on your project!

Topic author

new owner

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:02 pm

Thanks for your info...I appreciate it.I have been reading everything I can..I have found out some interesting facts.I didnt know that about the breeding...good to know.Thanks again

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:08 pm

there should be some good articles somewhere on the internet on hermie reproduction... about their life stages.. from zoea and up! also check out the archives here, as they contian lots of good info!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:07 pm

I don't know where my friend got that pic and I'm sure I'm gonna get in trouble but that a mama and her babies.

Lemme know if I need to remove it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:41 am

You asked what would happen if the temps get to high. The hermit crabs start hanging out of their shells to cool off, and they smell musty. Check out Hermit-Crabs.com; it's a really fantastic site.

Topic author

science project

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:39 am

Well thank you guys for the info...I have learned so much about hermit crabs...I did check out hermit-crabs.com...That is an excellent site.I just loved it..You know I am so glad that I did this project with my son.I had no clue what I was doing with my hermt crabs...But now I have a much better idea on how to care for them.
I have always liked hermit crabs...They are so cool.I put some branches in their tank so they can climb...and they just love them....Now that I have the temp and humidity right..they are so much more active.
I am going to do more reading on this site to get more ideas.....so my hermit crabs will have a really comfortable life....I just love hermit crabs.
I am so glad that I bought them.Thanks again for the info...and the picture is really cool too.

Topic author

science project

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:40 am

Well thank you guys for the info...I have learned so much about hermit crabs...I did check out hermit-crabs.com...That is an excellent site.I just loved it..You know I am so glad that I did this project with my son.I had no clue what I was doing with my hermt crabs...But now I have a much better idea on how to care for them.
I have always liked hermit crabs...They are so cool.I put some branches in their tank so they can climb...and they just love them....Now that I have the temp and humidity right..they are so much more active.
I am going to do more reading on this site to get more ideas.....so my hermit crabs will have a really comfortable life....I just love hermit crabs.
I am so glad that I bought them.Thanks again for the info...and the picture is really cool too.

Topic author

science project

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:40 am

Topic author

science project

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:41 am

Topic author

science project

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:42 am

Topic author

science project

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:43 am