What do you all when you deep clean?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

What do you all when you deep clean?

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:35 pm

I don't believe I've had my crabs long enough to do a deep clean so how and what do you do during a deep clean?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:50 pm

I replace the sand, clean the toys, and clean the tank. I clean with tap water, then let dry.

BAB

Post by BAB » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:48 pm

I deep clean about every 4 weeks... or more depending on the mess. Hehe..

I remove all sand and moss. I either toss the sand or strain it, bake it and replace it. (Usually I just toss it... hehe... ) I do rinse a mico the moss a bit to freshin' it up instead of tossing. Unless they drag something in there that is particularly gross. Hehe...

I use sea salt or dechlor water and rinse off the water dishes, shells, nets and plastic plants. I bake the cholla wood for a bit and rinse with sea salt water.

Hmm... I think that's it. Just make sure that whatever you rinse off with tap water gets dried before replacing in the tank with crabbies. OH and don't start a fire in the oven or micro with your cleaning. Heheh...
**Crabbing since July 2005*~*100+ successful molts**
I have a total of 2 PP's

Note:My information on crab care is NOT the only way to do things. Please research your topics.

HomieHermie999
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by HomieHermie999 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:21 pm

I think they have basically said it all, i just replace the sand with brand spanking new sand and the wash are their little toys and put fresh foodand water in. Not much of my wood and stuff will fit in the oven so i usualy sun dry it. I don't deep clean that often, partly because its just hard to clean a 55 gallon out every month or so, plus they can't dirty it up that fast. Anyways, when you think you are ready for a deep clean and have any more questions just post again or PM me, and i'll be glad to help.
I am the proud owner around 30 crabbies consisting of PPs, rugs, Es, Cavs,and indos.
Also the owner of 0.4.0 Eastern Box turtles, 0.0.1 Stinkpot turtle, 3 dogs & several goldfish

starmaiden

Post by starmaiden » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:11 pm

I've only done one deep clean since I've been crabbing for only about 5 months. My 10 gallon was just nasty after having 5 med crabs in it for a few months, one death, and two molters. I dumped out the substrate and threw away the moss because it smelled moldy, washed the tank with seasalt and vinagar, rinsed with dechlor water, and dried with paper towels. I washed all the plastic plants and hideys in vinagar and saltwater and rinsed well. I replaced the substrate with fresh playsand and put fresh moss for them.

My 30 gallon tank seems to be staying cleaner longer, so I don't think I will have to do it nearly as soon as I did my 10 gallon. Besides, they have a cool underground subway system dug throughout the tat and I hate to mess all their hard work up unnecessarily! :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks alot, so how often should I do a deep clean? I've had the crabs for almost 2 months, am I due for a deep clean?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:21 pm

Every month I replace all the sand and mulch in the habitat.

To clean the acctual habitat itself, after ive thrown away the old sand and mulch, taken out the toys and move the crabs, I just take it outside and rinse it with the hose a few times then paper-towl dry, put in new sand and mulch and then replace the toys, food/water dishes, and crabs then I'm done. Its a really quick process.

During the summer I'm here at my grandparents and they get water from an underground spring so the water that comes out of the hose and faucet is crab safe, no need to treat it. At home I usualy just grab one of the countless number of water bottles in the garage and use that for their water.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:41 am

When I deep clean, I rince EVERYthing, replace sand, rotate sponges, and rearange the crabitat. I also bathe my crabs (I have a 'mini lake' that takes up 1/3 of a 20 gallon tank, so I don't bathe often) I do this 1 time every three weeks-1 month.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:49 am

I really think it depends on how messy your little guys are and how much room you have. If you tat isn't cramped and you're doing regular poopie scooping and surface cleaning, and clean off your decor, you can do a deep clean about every three months. Use your judgement. You don't want it gross in there, but if you clean too often the balance of things can get off.