WHat do most use for substrate? Layers of rock? Confused!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

WHat do most use for substrate? Layers of rock? Confused!

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:56 pm

I have been using sand with Eco Bed mixed, but I read that you should use first a layer of rock then sand to hold humidity. While checking out my area Pet Stores which are all chain stores one was using just rocks something like aquarium gravel. I am getting ready to do a crabitate clean-out and if I need to make changes now is a perfect time. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on what to use. :?:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:11 pm

all that i use is play sand that i spray with rain water every day and that keeps my humidity up very easily

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:19 pm

I use playsand and EcoEarth on my second levels. I've heard of people putting a layer of gravel in the bottom of their tanks under playsand so bacteria filled water will drain to the bottom, and the hermits can't get to it while tunneling or molting. Using gravel only like some petstores isn't a good thing. Gravel is rather sharp and can really hurt your hermie's legs. Plus, it's near impossible to dig in. I'd stick with what you are doing already. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:22 am

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will stick with what I am doing but will add a second level with Eco.
Thanks!