Anough space for 2 medium/large crabs?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Anough space for 2 medium/large crabs?

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:05 pm

I just bought my first 2 hermit crabs & "hermit crab cove" for them to live in... Now this "cove" looks looks kinda small (1.5 feet long & 3/4 of a foot wide). I don't know if it's enough space for 2 medium/large crabs to live?
I saw at PETCO a 20 gallon elongated glass aquarium (no lid available) for 30 $. Should I get it for them? Or can I possibly buy a large transparent storage box w/lid , put some sand in it & use it as a crab habitat?
Any advice appreciated!
Natasha.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:55 pm

Hmm... I would go with the 20 gallon solution. Not only is it better (in my opinion, anyway), but if ever you want to get more crabs, they will have plenty of room (depending on what size you get).

Also, make sure you have the essentials (assuming you haven't done research - sorry!)... humidity and temperature guages, dechlorinated fresh and salt water, etc... you can look to the right for more care info! :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:00 pm

I would get the 20 gallon tank. I think a ten gallon tank is 18x10 so that actually closely resembles a ten gallon tank so I think it's good enough. I would get the 20 gallon only because you will have a lot of room for them and you probably might want more in the future. Also is the hermit cove plastic? A ten gallon glass tank is usually $10 and you can use a uth but if yours is plastic unless your uth is designed for plastic the bottom might melt from the heat I think or something.

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:39 pm

Get the tank--petsmart is $28 for a 20L you will not be sorry its a nice size tank
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

annopia

Post by annopia » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:45 pm

you can also get a plexiglass or glass top cut to fit at a hardware store like lowes.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:32 pm

Thank you, guys for your advice! Now You mentioned something about "salt water". In the brochure that they gave me at pet store they mentioned only fresh water. And my "hermit crab habitat" came equipped with the dish for fresh water...
Another question. That 20 gallon tank will require a lot of sand. Shall I buy "reptile sand" since it's cheaper for the larger bag?

annopia

Post by annopia » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:37 pm

for an even cheaper buy, get playsand from a hardware store, its about $3 for a 50 lb bag. I currently have reptile sand in my 20L, and it awfully expensive.

most pet stores aren't very knowledgable, but hermit crabs need salt water made from a marine salt (table salt is poisonous) that you can get from the pet store.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:54 pm

Oceanic//Instant Ocean are some types of proper salt water :)
a 20L glass lid is not that much and cheaper here than plexi glass. If you are putting any lighting on the tank dont get plexi- it will warp
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

annopia

Post by annopia » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:00 pm

Herm-EZ wrote:Oceanic//Instant Ocean are some types of proper salt water :)
a 20L glass lid is not that much and cheaper here than plexi glass. If you are putting any lighting on the tank dont get plexi- it will warp
I found that out the hard way! I'm going to invest in glass instead of plexi this winter when I need a lamp/UTH combo!

Caroline

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:06 pm

Shop around and try smaller pet stores....I was amazed at how much cheaper they were at a smaller chain than Petco and Petsmart--nearly double in price :shock:
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:37 am

Thanks again- I'm gonna get that 20 gallon tank & put a salt water dish in it . I guess I'll go with the "playground sand for now...
You guys are great!
Natasha.