Silicone Sealant

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Silicone Sealant

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Can aquarium silicone sealant be used with Hermie's?

I want to make a pool at one end of my tank using Plexiglas covered with small gravel to represent the beach coming onto to sand. The silicone to hold the gravel and Plexiglas in place on a 20* angle,.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also has anyone used sphagnum moss with their Hermie's? It hold 20x weight in water, has a natural antibacterial/anti-fungal properties. though it is on the acidic side. I've used it with frogs, turtles and snakes.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:40 pm

Yes, you can use the sealant. Just let the smell disapate before input in the tank, I don't know about the moss, I'm sorry, not familiar with it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:57 pm

Not sure what sphagnum Moss is but I know you can use moss.

Topic author
Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:31 pm

If you use aquarium sealant be sure to allow 24 hours for it to harden and for the smell to disipate.

dbolack

Re: Silicone Sealant

Post by dbolack » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:06 am

snakelady wrote:Can aquarium silicone sealant be used with Hermie's?

I want to make a pool at one end of my tank using Plexiglas covered with small gravel to represent the beach coming onto to sand. The silicone to hold the gravel and Plexiglas in place on a 20* angle,.
Based on your other text, I assume you do have the kind safe for Aquariums. ( The stuff that isn't seems to universally say so. ) so, yes. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:38 pm

I actually find that plain ol' silicone

-works better
-is much cheaper
-smells less

the trick to remember is to get the normal kind, not the 'bathroom' or 'mold retardant' brands which have an antifugual agent. Also wait the time indicated on the tube for the smell to dissipate fully.