Collapsed tunnel? Should I dig? Need answer soon!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Collapsed tunnel? Should I dig? Need answer soon!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:09 am

Hi all. I dislocated my thumb on my right hand on Friday night, and I'm right-handed, which is what caused this accident. I was refilling the hermits' freshwater bowl left-handed when I accidentally poured a lot of water right next to the dish. Unbeknownst to me, there was a tunnel there. Part of it collapsed. I can see it leads over to the right, and there's no crab visible, but there's a lot of poop. I don't know if I should dig or not. I can section off that area of the tank quite easily, or I can have an ISO set up in a snap, but being so new to hermit crabs and never having a molter before, I'm scared to death to think what I might find.

Please, tell me what you think I should do! :cry:

Tremors

Post by Tremors » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:21 am

I don't think you should dig. If you didn't actually collapse it on the crab, it probably wouldn't have hurt him any. :)
4 PPs: Petra (11 years), Big Crab (7 years), Rambunctious Crab (7 years), John Smith (1 year)
3 Es: Pacman, Captain Janeway, Googely-Bear (2 years)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Thanks Tremors. :) I just sort of freaked out when I saw what I had done, and wasn't sure how to react. I suppose he could be a long way away from the area I disturbed, judging from the tunnel's opening.

Now I wonder which one is down there! :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:27 pm

it's a tough call to me.

if he was down for a while, then yeah it could have messed up his tunnel, but digging him up could make it worse.