My hermies were exposed to toxins....lost a few :(

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

My hermies were exposed to toxins....lost a few :(

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:50 pm

My son was home from college for the Thanksgiving holiday. The day before Thanksgiving, he was getting ready to go out for the evening, while watching a hockey game on TV. I didn't realize it, but he took his toiletries & stuff downstairs into the family room so that he could get ready & still watch the game.

When I walked downstairs, I saw & SMELLED him spraying his cologne right next to my 40-breeder! :shock: I yelled for him to stop & that the cologne could kill the crabs! I quickly shut the lid (which had been cracked), but I was a little two late. I lost a micro PP & 2 of my rugs the next day. :cry: There are another two ruggies that aren't looking so good, but seem to be hanging on.

My son felt horrible, and I felt awful for yelling at him. But I take care of ALL my kids, and couldn't believe that something like this would happen. I am always so careful about chemicals in the room. When my cleaning ladies come, I cover my tanks with plastic garbage bags to make sure that no odors or harmful stuff floates into the tanks.

SO, for all the newbies out there (and anyone else who may have doubted it)....
Be very careful when using ANY cleaning supplies, colognes, air fresheners, etc......I now have proof that the stuff kills hermies. :cry:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:55 pm

:cry: very sorry to hear of your losses kathy........accdents happen that blows..........i'll pray for the other 2 ruggies !

Topic author
Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:00 pm

Sorry about your mishap Kathy. I always make sure I don't use soap and household cleaners to clean the tank. If I need to deodorize the tank I find that that spray sold on petdiscounters works rather well.

starmaiden

Post by starmaiden » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:03 pm

So sorry to hear about your losses Kathy! What a bummer!

bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:51 am

[smilie=comfort.gif] I'm so sorry you lost them Kathy. I do hope the Ruggies will pull through for ya. Keep us posted.
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

PPs,Straws,Es,Ruggies, Violas, & Indos!
3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:25 am

I'm sorry about your losses. It was good of you to share a painful story so others could learn from it. Accidents happen. [smilie=grouphug.gif]

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:00 am

AW man-- that is sad :cry: I am so sorry for your losses --someone died in my 20L- I am off today so I must do a deep clean and find out who :cry:
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:27 pm

Thanks everyone!

It is just something you wouldn't think to tell people....even my own son...."Don't spray cologne near the crab tanks!"

I mean, he has a bedroom & bathroom upstairs, so I wouldn't even think that he would have brought the cologne downstairs for any reason. I think I am going to write up a friendly "house rules" for my future guests, too. Living in Florida, we get LOTS of guests. I just note where the spare bath towels are, how to operate the remotes, ect......AND note not to spray anything downstairs, as the crabs are fragile when it comes to that kind of stuff. :(

The only reason I think that I didn't lose more was because a good many in that tank are either down molting, or destressing from their move from the 20L to the 40B. I think that those guys should be okay....at least I hope so!
Last edited by Guest on Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:18 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that! I have never lost one due to chemicals yet, and hopefully never will. :cry:

BAB

Post by BAB » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:34 pm

Awww! Oh no.... I'm so sorry for your loss!!
**Crabbing since July 2005*~*100+ successful molts**
I have a total of 2 PP's

Note:My information on crab care is NOT the only way to do things. Please research your topics.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:46 pm

Lost another ruggie today.... :cry:

bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:28 pm

:cry: Awww...Kathy, I'm sooo sorry that ya lost another one. That really sucks. I was hoping that the other 2 would recover for ya. I wish I could give ya a real hug, but this will have to do! [smilie=hug99.gif] [smilie=hug99.gif] [smilie=hug99.gif] [smilie=hug.gif]
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

PPs,Straws,Es,Ruggies, Violas, & Indos!
3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:45 am

Jeeze, the poor things. I had no idea that they would be *that* sensetive! :( It is good that we can learn through your bad experience. Sorry it is also at your expense.... :sad1:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:05 am

Thanks guys [smilie=grouphug.gif]

I really wonder if I did right by completely shutting the tank after he sprayed. In trying to keep the cologne out, I may have actually trapped what had made it into the tank. :(

Then, tonight, I had my very first surface molt in that same tank. I wonder if she became weak from the toxins, and couldn't dig down to molt. (See my thread in the "Molting" section for the details.)

Four deaths in one week....and now the surface molt thing. I am really ready to cry right now!!! :cry:

Tremors
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tremors » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:16 am

Aww, sorry to hear about that. :(

[smilie=hug99.gif] There, feel better now?
4 PPs: Petra (11 years), Big Crab (7 years), Rambunctious Crab (7 years), John Smith (1 year)
3 Es: Pacman, Captain Janeway, Googely-Bear (2 years)