Surface cleaning?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Surface cleaning?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:37 pm

I'm thinking I should probably do a surface clean and since this will be my first one I'm slightly clueless. OK, probably a little more than slightly. :oops: What does a surface clean entail exactly? :?:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:49 pm

My surface cleans include:

Washing of the water pools & food bowls.
Cleaning of the spare shells.
Cleaning the walls of the tank with vinegar water.
Picking up food stuffs & poop from the sand.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:57 pm

I also add more water to the substrate if necessary during a surface clean. Be careful not to disturb any buried/molting crabs during this time.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks you guys! You know that might be a good care sheet to have available too, a checklist for a surface clean and a deep clean. :idea:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:17 pm

MrsCrab wrote:Thanks you guys! You know that might be a good care sheet to have available too, a checklist for a surface clean and a deep clean. :idea:
You don't even wanna know what is required for a deep clean. :roll:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:54 pm

oh.. i have never cleaned out the spare shells. :shock: just rinse them out with dechorinated water?

im glad i read this post!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:33 pm

Yes, rinse them out with dechlor water, or if you want to get them really clean, boil them. I usually only boil them when I do a deep clean, though. During a surface clean, I’m mainly just getting the sand out of them.