heat and humidity??

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

heat and humidity??

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi all,

Question about heat and humidity. My heat is running about 69-71 degrees, and humidity is perfect. I went away from campus right now, and at a friends house. I have been here since thursday nigh and I will be here until monday afternoon. I did not want to leave the crabs for that long of a period, especially since my roommate is home for the weekend. Well I put them in a large "critter carrier" for the ride(about 2 1/2 hours) and put them on the floor of underneath the air vent. They were soooo active. The temp was about 85 degrees and the humidity remained perfect.

I want to get the heat up atleast 82 degrees. I bought a moon light 40 watt heat lamp and it only brings the heat up to about 75 degrees, But if I turn the other 15 watt moon light on also, it will raise the heat to about 80-83 degrees, BUT, it lowers the humidity. I am using a screen top but I have it completly covered with aluminum foil except fot the light holes. Also, just to let ya'll know, the light fixture that I am using, it's like a light you would see on a fishtank, but it's not the whole lid.
NOTE: I also have a UTH for a 5-10 tank, which is what I have.

Sorry for the length, but any recommendations on how to keep both heat and humidity around 80?

Thanks

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:05 pm

1. you make the substrate more moist.
2. you can add a water bowl with an air stone
3. try replacing the aluminum foil with some sort of plastic sheet - the decorative backing for a fishtank is perfect
4. mist the tank several times a day
5. try getting some of that repti-moss and soak it down really good w/saltwater - that stuff should help the humidity a bit
6. if you're using exclusively sand, try doing at least a 50/50 mix with ecco earth/soil.
7. Get an under-the-tank heater - this will greatly improve the temp if you get one recommended for the tank size you have. This will also help with the humidity, as it will dry out the substrate a little, which will raise the humidity in the tank. This would be my first choice, which is why I put it last.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:05 pm

What you can do it get a humidifier. Directions are at the crabitat conditions forum.

Also, you can switch from the moon glo to the sun glo. Light gives off heat, so you'll have even more heat.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:31 am

harles2000 wrote:1. you make the substrate more moist.
2. you can add a water bowl with an air stone
3. try replacing the aluminum foil with some sort of plastic sheet - the decorative backing for a fishtank is perfect
4. mist the tank several times a day
5. try getting some of that repti-moss and soak it down really good w/saltwater - that stuff should help the humidity a bit
6. if you're using exclusively sand, try doing at least a 50/50 mix with ecco earth/soil.
7. Get an under-the-tank heater - this will greatly improve the temp if you get one recommended for the tank size you have. This will also help with the humidity, as it will dry out the substrate a little, which will raise the humidity in the tank. This would be my first choice, which is why I put it last.
I have an under tank heater and it's specified for my tank size. I also I have a 50/50 mix if sand and eco-earth. I will try plastic wrap right now.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:38 am

The lamps are probably burning off some of your humidity... How low is your humidity? 80 is on the higher side... so if it is around 75 your humidity is still fine.

Other wise... add a bigger or another small UTH to one side of your tank... or make a humidifier.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Featherscrabs wrote:The lamps are probably burning off some of your humidity... How low is your humidity? 80 is on the higher side... so if it is around 75 your humidity is still fine.

Other wise... add a bigger or another small UTH to one side of your tank... or make a humidifier.
Everything is pretty stable now. Night glo lamps are keeping the heat up along with the UTH, and the humidity has stabalized around 73-77%