DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:03 am

lol mediums are 15-20 years old

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:10 pm

I too have thought about attempting to breed hermit crabs, since I have always been interested in marine biology. If someone successfully commercialized a standard way to breed hermit crabs, then the need to take crabs from the wild to become pets would be lessened, and if all species were able to be bred in this way, more exotic, and endangered species (like Strawberries, and Blueberries) would become more available.

If this method was widely successful, then ambitious breeders would start breeding for traits (such as color, and even personality traits)!

However, if this method was too successful, such as that used to breed goldfish and bettas, then it would be back to square one in the sense that many average crab owners would once again feel that their pet is disposable.

There is one tip I think I might have for crab breeding-when crabs are in their aquatic larval stage, they must eat something smaller than themselves, but since they float around and swim all the time, it must be something similar: I think that secret food is Plankton :).

Topic author
blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:44 pm

I was thinking plankton too, but there are no planktons small enough on the market that I can find.

i am really working to set this up now. Exept I am kind of broke... I have thought alot about it and if/when I start this whole project I will photo document itand post it here from day 1.
coloradocritterco.com

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:58 pm

What about baby brine shrimp?

Topic author
blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:44 pm

thats the plan. Yah I am going to get one of those cheezy brine shrimp hatcheries.
coloradocritterco.com

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:39 am

I am going to second (third, forth, whatever) the notion that the zoea will make little waste individually, but in a group between uneaten food and waste you should have some kind of filter and do water changes often. All uneaten food, decaying plant or animal matter, or waste will produce ammonia and a buildup of ammonia can be deadly. A small sponge filter can be hooked up to a bubbler to gently filter instead of creating significant suction with a power filter.

You could also culture phytoplankton for the zoea. It is fairly easy from what I have seen.
http://www.reefcrew.bionomicsolutions.c ... ankton.htm

Topic author
blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:19 pm

I plan to water change every week. I really don't think the waist will be suficent though. If I have green water the waist will nutralise into nitrates and tehn the sea grass can use it as fertaliser.
coloradocritterco.com

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:30 pm

It takes time and various bacteria to break waste into nitrates, the sponge filter will allow greater surface area for these bacterias and will circulate water enough to expose the waste to the bacteria. Depending on the size of tank you are using, the number of zoea in there, and how estabilshed the tank is before you transfer zoea into there you may end up with much higher ammonia than you are expecting.

I have raised and bred fish for many years and it is surprising how quickly ammonia can build up even with little fish. From what I have read (which I admit is limited) about breeding hermits ther have been past problems at the zoea stage and obviously people here wish you the best with the adventure. You may want to at least consider the possibility of more waste and have some materials to handle that just incase.

Topic author
blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:30 pm

I will keep grteen water. Besides it is nessicary for the zoea to be kept in such for food.

What would be a good decor, like a live rock? Would that help the microscopic food growth.
coloradocritterco.com

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:24 pm

yes. scum and all that jazz would grow on it.... eventually..... it would take a while tho what about grinding up baby brine shrimp....like with a mortar and pestal.....

Topic author
blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:20 pm

well i figgure the stage one babies will do fine on spirulina, a live rock and green water until they are big enough to eat whole baby brine shrimp (2 weeks old). Maybe though I could take the powder from my crab kibble and feed that too...
coloradocritterco.com

Topic author
blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:25 pm

ok so, I was wondering, what do you guys think I should document when I finally get the setup and babies. I guess you could say I am taking special requests.
coloradocritterco.com

Topic author
blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:48 pm

Also anybody here that lives in the Denver Metro area that want to help with this I would be honored.
coloradocritterco.com

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:09 pm

DELETED

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:13 pm

hello hello

I wish you the best of luck with this project!

if I can say though, I'm a bit worried by the sheer number of variables you will try to control: temperature, salinity, pH, ammonia levels, bacteria..and that's before any food is involved heh.

If I were you, considering the heavy costs involved, I would write to a few biologists specializing in crustacians, run your plan by them and ask for their opinion. They might be able to direct you to good reference books, or might even be interested in following the project via email, etc.

Make a detailed plan, list of materials, timeline, etc. Log and document all steps. Doesn't have to be complicated, a humble binder or notepad to keep things tidy and you're set.

Good luck!