Heat and a UTH

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Heat and a UTH

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:26 pm

hello I'm still here setting up my tank and still not even close to getting one or well close i guess lol and i have a good 2 inches of cocofiber sand mix and the gauges and all that other jazz but my uth wont let the heat get high enough in the tank even if i have the lid completely closed it still wont get passed 64 F its made for a 10 - 20 gallon tank and which i have is a 10 so should i upgrade or what? thanks in advance

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:32 pm

Maybe try a light source as well? You can get clip on lamps at most pet stores, for under $10 or so, that will take like up to a 75W bulb. I use one of those on my 10g, and have one of those moon-glo bulbs on all day. I don't bother to turn it off during the day because it's the heat source for that tank ,and keeps it around 74 at night and 78/80 during the day. I have the lamp clipped to a shelf near the tank and the bulb is about 3" from the glass near the top of the tank. It warms that whole "pane" of glass, and it's nice and toasty inside.

Hope that helps!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:25 am

hello oh yes i was thinking about that yes but my tank is set up in my room and I'm trying to think of something that i could do to not have any light at all for the tank but yes thanks for the advice

JangoCatt

Post by JangoCatt » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:08 am

You are never going to get the heat to an acceptable level with just a UTH. You will need another heat source whether it be a clamp light or more preferably a reflective hood light with both day and night bulbs.

Remember that the UTH will also dry out the substrate meaning that you likely need to mist regularly to maintain proper humidity levels.

Good Luck!

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:52 pm

They sell ceramic heat elements that are kinda like light bulbs, but they don't emit light. They're expensive, though. Or you could try a moonglo light----they aren't very bright at all. I don't really like to suggest overhead heating for a 10 gallon, because they're so small, they can overheat easily. I'd suggest getting a larger UTH, and mounting it on the side of the tank. You could get one that covers most of the back wall, that might do it.

Now, what is the temp in your house? I know I keep my house temp at 64, but most people keep it warmer. If your house thermostat is set higher than 64, you may have a defective thermometer.

And you should know that 2 inches of substrate will not be enough unless you're planning to only get micro hermies. It needs to be deep enough for the largest crab to bury completely, with at least an inch overhead. Otherwise, the other crabs might dig a moulter up.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:03 pm

hello again i went out looking for the ceramic thing or what ever its called and the different light and i though i might just get a bigger uth im also gonna get another thermometer just to see if its right and i ended up putting the rest of the cocofiber in the tank so now i have a good 3 1/2 inches of it in there with some beach sand mixed in ( yes cleaned ) and the humidity is keeping very good at like 75 but the temp is now just keeping at a 70-71 soo would that be good enough ok well thats it i think sorry about all the random order this all came in thanks again