Bubble blower's and air pumps

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Bubble blower's and air pumps

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:05 pm

Ok I have only had crabs a few months. I keep seeing bubble blower stuff and air pump stuff. Is this something I need for my hermies? Do they like these things? What are there purpose? Would it be a good idea to get these things when I go hermie shopping? Anything else that I don't know about that they like or I should get?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:12 pm

Hi Tiffany! Some people use bubblers in one of their pools to provide extra humidity. The air pump sits on the outside of the tank, and it's attached to a tube that goes into the tank and has an airstone on the end, which produces the bubbles. I had some humidity problems a couple months ago and I added a bubbler and it's helped me a lot.

If your humidity is good, you don't need one.

Good luck!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:42 am

As Cat-N-Crabs said, bubble pools help with humidity issues. The bubble stone also oxidizes the water, so you don't need to change the water out as often.

Do the crabs like them? Some really do, the larger crabs in particular. I have seen them sitting near the bubble stone, as if they were in a spa. The little guys seem intimidated by the bubbles at first, but they eventually adjust to them.

Also, as Cats-N-Crabs said, if you don't have humidity issues, then you don't need a bubble pool.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi There!

I have bubblers in both my pools. And for pools I use GladWare disposable containers that are about 3" deep. I fill them most of the way with glass marbles and then submerge the bubbler in under the marbles. It helps disperse the bubbles more uniformly across the top surface of the water rather than this big spraying thing sitting on the top.

My crabs LOVE the bubblers and it makes a HUGE difference in humidity and water cleanliness. It meand the end of sponges for me, YAY!

Even if you have good humidity you could use bubblers. I have less of my lid covered now that the bubblers are in there, so they get more fresh air, because I don't have to trap so much humidity in.

One word of advise...if possible, don't put bubbler pools near the glass as it gets the glass dirty. The good news though is it keeps the substrate nearby nice 'n' moist from the spritz!