My NEW $80.00 70G terrarium from glasscages.com

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
sean1978

My NEW $80.00 70G terrarium from glasscages.com

Post by sean1978 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:47 pm

Well, I bought my new Crabitat 2 weeks ago, got it set up, and finally found my digital camera cable.

Here it is!

70 Gal. 36 x 18 x 25 $80

I called in my order, paid with the credit card, and the woman who was working the phones told me a few times to NOT put any water into the terrarium. I have not seen anyone else here using a glasscages.com terrarium so I figured I was taking a bit of a gamble.

After I got it in the first thing I did was tried to have a really good look at it. I wanted to determine if I thought it would hold my substrate. I know planted terrariums with dirt are a common thing so I assumed it would hold at least something.

Anyway. The first thing I did was look at the thickness of the glass and the frame. I'm pretty sure the 70g Terrarium and the 70g Aquarium they make use the same frame. Frame looked solid to me, but I'm not an aquarium frame expert so I couldn't really quantify anything.

The glass just about the same thickness (if not exactly) as my girlfriend's 46 gallon aquarium. I figured that for a 70g aquarium they probably would use a thicker glass, but since it's a terrarium and it's not going to hold 500 pounds of water they use a thinner glass.

I really didn't want to find out "the hard way" that my terrarium wouldn't hold 300 pounds of sand so I decided it would probably be a good idea to go with a lighter substrate. I used 6 blocks of eco-earth and I mixed one block with half of a 50 pound bag of play sand (25 pounds) to make a sandy area on the far left side of the tat.

here's the completed work:

My girlfriend was thrown off by the size at first but admitted it looked nice after I got everything set up. She said it looks like a "hermit crab jungle"

I use an ESU reptile thermostat with side mounted heaters to maintain a constant 80F on the right side. the far left side stays around 75F

Topic author
sean1978

Post by sean1978 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:13 am

It's funny how humongous new tanks look until we get all our stuff in them.
I think I'll get something for a size comparrison in the next shot. The driftwood stumps I have in there are pretty big.

One of My PP's has taken residence in the hallow center of the peice on the right. He stays in it all day and climbs up and out every day when I turn the lights off.